Mead Stabilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vespa

Reaction score
Hello, I just need a reality check after reading way too many differing opinions.

1) It seems that I can add both potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite at the same time to my mead to stabilize it prior to back sweetening. Is this correct?
2) Also how long should I wait to back sweeten after stabilizing? I have seen anywhere from 24 hours to 4 days.

1) yes. Add both at the same time.

2) if you have aged the mead well and it is crystal clear so as to have as little amount of yeast in it as possible. You can back sweeten shortly after adding the sulfites and sorbate. I have back sweetened in as soon as an hour from stabilizing with no real fermentation picking up.

Thanks for the reply. It is currently crystal clear and about 3 months old. It finished really dry and sour. I think a tiny bit of sweetness will work well in it.

Some just give it a day or so after stabilising just as a little insurance to allow the chems to do their thing.

What you may find, is that sometimes back sweetening will cause a haze (protein I believe). Which is why I routinely finish a ferment, stabilise, back sweeten to about 1.010 and then sort it for clearing/ageing.

I like my meads at about that gravity anyway and its a PITA to have to clear a batch twice if it does haze up after sweetening. .........

Back