Nutrient deficiency or too much nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirogster

Reaction score
I'm growing hops in containers. Since week they look really sick :( Help me please, what sort of problem could it be?
Any help appreciated!

ForumRunner_20130513_110450.jpg

ForumRunner_20130513_110450.jpg

ForumRunner_20130513_110527.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130513_110504.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130513_110504.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 483
The plants don't look that large and your soil looks fine (i.e., not playground sand) so I would really doubt that you are running into a deficiency this early in the game. They look kind of fried to me, like over zealous fertilization and/or watering.

Gents, thanks for the replies. Yeah, as it is with all disasters, that could be few factors. Those were photos of 3 diff, 1st year hops. So, too much nitrates in potmix+rainy weather=burned, drying leaves? That theory is supported by evidence- with the other hop, planted in the 'normal' soil, all seems to be going well :( I have really small backyard, so no much room for planting into the soil :(
Now, what options do I have?
I guess, I'll quickly dig out those babies, to some normal soil & pray for successful recovery.

[Edit] I just replanted'em to the new, not potmix soil. Really looking forward to it & hoping, that it will help somehow :)

Quick update.
They're sitting - since almost week, and it seems that happily -in new soil. Previous it was sort of potmix, so some nutrients were already there. Stoooopid me, I also added some fertilizer!! And effects were horryfing :( It's in liquid form.
New leaves are juicy green- fortunately. No discoloring, drying ends etc. But it's pouring rain like sob since replantation. So no really significant growth is visible. Yes, they're climbing with slow pace :) Plus they're probably developing new root system, as well.
Weather will also hopefully change, starting tomorrow. Sunshine and some warmth, that's what they precisely need now :) Cheers!!

Quick update.
They're sitting - since almost week, and it seems that happily -in new soil. Previous it was sort of potmix, so some nutrients were already there. Stoooopid me, I also added some fertilizer!! And effects were horryfing :( It's in liquid form.
New leaves are juicy green- fortunately. No discoloring, drying ends etc. But it's pouring rain like sob since replantation. So no really significant growth is visible. Yes, they're climbing with slow pace :) Plus they're probably developing new root system, as well.
Weather will also hopefully change, starting tomorrow. Sunshine and some warmth, that's what they precisely need now :) Cheers!!

nice glad to hear they are happy again.
For future reference what happened the first time was actually nutrient lockout due to the soil not being at the right pH (probably caused by the time release nutrients in the potting soil). then when you added the nutrient solution not only were there too much nutrients causing burns, but this furthered the lockouts of the micro nutrients.
The first two pics show a very visible Zinc deficiency (light yellow/green fading to dark at the veins of the leafs) and the brown spots on the edges could also be magnesium deficiency. The last two pices are a good example of just straight nutrient burn (crispy discolored edges). In the future if, especially with new plants, if they start showing problems check the pH first and then asses from there.

Nebulous +1 for that nitrogen burns.
I over fertilized using chicken manure.
So guys, beware of that shieeet ;).
Cattle 'kind' is probably better (as the other are keep'on saying).
I've checked pH with some cheap 'bayonet'ish analogue meter. It's between 6.8-7.1. So I guess, that's ok. Right?

sounds good to me i usually test the run-off of my potted plants when i water them with plain water between feedings, but i only bother if some one is showing problems. i do however always check the pH if i add anything to the water.
another good tip with supplemental nutrients, especially if you are say changing brand or giving nutrients to a plant for the first time; use half the concentration they say and see how the plant likes it. I find that a lot of the concentrations for use on young plants to be often too high. Its a lot easier to give the plant more nutrients later then have to flush the pot and let the plant recover.
and also remember its a plant, they are used to just sitting there with on one around to tend to it ;)

edit:
here's a good pic for basic plant diagnosis:
GuidetoNutritionDeficiencyinPlants.jpg

Right-on Bro :) !! Thanks for refference jpg, very useful !!
PS Check Chop&Brew new episode about hops. Very solid ground for future eps.

Cheers!

Back