Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My responses have been supportive or positive. I usually get, "So when am I going to get to try one?"

If anything, I'm afraid I am sounding annoying when I add disclaimers with the beer I give out so it tastes its best.

1. Don't drink it out of the bottle
2. Pour it down the center of the glass so you get a good head, but don't get the sludge at the bottom in your glass
3. Let it sit out of your fridge for a half hour so it's not too cold
4. If you remember, I want the bottles back;)

My responses have been supportive or positive. I usually get, "So when am I going to get to try one?"

If anything, I'm afraid I am sounding annoying when I add disclaimers with the beer I give out so it tastes its best.

1. Don't drink it out of the bottle
2. Pour it down the center of the glass so you get a good head, but don't get the sludge at the bottom in your glass
3. Let it sit out of your fridge for a half hour so it's not too cold
4. If you remember, I want the bottles back;)

Exactly, trying to explain that the sludge isn't bad and is pretty much inevitable.

I run around town as a service tech and have gotten only good responses from customer's about HBing. The only negative I get from people is why I don't carry some around to let them try......

I've also gotten mostly positive responses. About the worst one was getting a very questioning stare after being asked "is that really sanitary?" Oh man, to try to explain the effort that goes into making things sanitary...I didn't even know where to begin.:smack:

"Don't get into trouble with the ATF with that stuff!" - Apartment Manager
"So you're an alcoholic?" - Assistant Apartment Manager

Yea, UPS did their job and left the NB package at the apartment office. At least it wasn't stolen!

Most people think it is cool.

What I have trouble with is explaining to them that you don't want to drink it straight out of the bottle...

This^... I cringe when someone grabs a bottle at a party and just starts chugging. Most people don't even notice the nasty stuff getting mixed in... But that's probably because they're drunk already :)

"Wow, what are you doing with all of this equipment? Making meth?"

"Can you brew me a Pilsner? ... Or how about a Lager if you can't brew me a Pilsner?"

"Ew, why is this beer so cloudy?"

"Is this going to get me sick?"

"Whoa, this has too much flavor!!"

"So how many of these do I need to drink before I get drunk?"

"Hey, we're having a party... brew up some beer for us."

"In the driveway?!? You're not afraid of getting caught? You must have pretty cool neighbors."

"Wow! This is ACTUALLY pretty good!"

"How much to make some for my party and what can you make?"

"Thanks. It's decent but I prefer Old Milwaukee." (Actual word for word quote. I almost fell over.)

But mostly:
"That's freakin' cool!!!! What do you have? Can I try it?"

This^... I cringe when someone grabs a bottle at a party and just starts chugging. Most people don't even notice the nasty stuff getting mixed in... But that's probably because they're drunk already :)
i have a one-pager that i print out to homebrew newbies who try my beer for the first time (especially folks who take my brews home so i'm not there to supervise). it's got 3 bullet points: chill in fridge for at least 24 hours (longer is better), do not drink from the bottle, pour slowly and stop just before the sludge makes it into your glass (i.e. be prepared to leave a little bit of beer in the bottle). p.s. don't worry if you screw up on #3, yeast is actually good for you.

"I tried that once"

"15 gallons in your fridge? When's the party?"

"When will that chocolate stout be ready again?"

Mostly positive except from a co worker that only drinks bud light.

I get mostly positive responses, not really remembering anything stupid or negative said to me at the moment. I don't just talk to anyone about it, if someone asks me what I like to do, I tell them, but I don't openly say, "Hey, I'm a homebrewer, how's it going?" I feel like if you're more open about it you're more apt to get ******* responses.

The joke is that some of it comes from those that think there part of the beernerd squad. They just speak up & remove all doubt.

"What kind of beer do you brew?"
"I like light beers, like a pilsner, or an ale."

"Well I make all types of beers really, you name it. Most recently I made a Belgian Saison"

-blinking pause-

"Yeah, I tried that Blue Moon stuff once.....it was pretty good."

--end conversation--

"Wow! It's like, real beer."

Thanks...that was the point.

Haha, I get that... on my Landlord clone, in a flabbergasted tone: "Hey, this actually tastes like Landlord!"

Yeah, that's because it's a Landlord clone... If it didn't I'd be annoyed!

People often (not always) seem to be expecting it to taste bad. I think it's because most people's only real exposure to homebrew here is when someone in their student days bought a cheap kit or tried to make something really strong.

"Isn't that dangerous?"

They were referring to still explosions and not beer brewing process, some people just don't know there is a profound difference

"Hey can you bring all of your homebrew to my birthday party? I'll clean out the fridge for you. You don't need 50 gallons."

People don't understand conditioning. I also get asked for BMC beer.....hopefully my 3.5%abv kolsch tastes ok.

i get that BMC drinkers do not understand beer, so when i offer BMC peeps a beer i preface it with, "you may not like it and that's ok."
i explain what's in it BRIEFLY and how it's supposed to taste.
i always have some BMC on hand for guests
this past weekend motivated me to make the miller lite clone in the light hybrid section. i plan to up the grain bill 25% and slightly up the hops. not much though.
i want to make a gateway beer for my BMC friends and acquaintances.

An interesting one from just a few days ago because I mentioned to a coworker that I was planning and building an immersion wort chiller:

"awesome! so that means you can do cold brewing like Budweiser does?"

I like this coworker, but I nearly slapped him.

Seriously? And in San Diego, of all places?

My friends were all totally receptive, but typically talking to strangers, yea, that's the idea. You should hear my wife's extended family talk about the brewery we own together. I actively avoid the subject at gatherings to avoid grinding my teeth into a fine powder. Someone might notice.

I've gotten the "is it good" before which I think is odd, if it was awful I'd stop making it.

I usually get some 1 up story about my acquaintance so and so is an awesome brewer and they blalabla...

But overall most people I know want to try it, lots of craft beer fans here in Michigan

I have a friend who calls my homebrew (and all craft beer) "Yuppie Beer". I find that humorous because I picture most of you guys on this site as being Harley riding guys with beards, who make a living making stuff with your hands and enjoy fabricating brew stands in your garages, etc.

The irony is that I'm sure you Harley riding guys would consider me to be a "Yuppie".

Beared yes. Well, big thick goatee everyone calls a beard. Harley. No. work with me hands somewhat.

Usually I get pretty good responses and fairly smart questions. Occasionally I'll get "Homebrew? You mean like moonshine?" At this point I back away before anyone tells me to squeal like a pig.

The oddest response I have gotten is along the lines "So...you think you are too good for microbrews like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada?" Sometimes the point in brewing for me is to make something like that might be just as good as a few microbrews just for the pure satisfaction of doing it on our own.

I mostly get positive responses, but then again for some reason most if the people I socialize with are also beer drinkers. Or at least drinkers of some sort. My favorite response I got recently was, "ooh I want to learn how to make my own vodka!"

25518 said:
Beared yes. Well, big thick goatee everyone calls a beard. Harley. No. work with me hands somewhat.

Actually when I'm not brewing I'm usually trimming my beard or riding this.

image-2771744633.jpg

Back