Is my LME ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I bought an extract kit yesterday at my LHBS. Included with The kit is a heat sealed bag with a combination of Light malt, Munich malt, and wheat malt. I forgot to put it in the fridge when I got home as the instructions recommend. I had them in a closet at about 72° for about 24 hours. Is that an issue?

It's fine. Most LHBS's have them just sitting on their shelves. It's definitely fine.

My local store keeps little buckets of LME out on room temp shelves. None of it is refrigerated. I have zero doubt that you're 100% fine.

No worries. My LHBS's have their LME out on shelves also. I always refrigerated my LME but that was mostly as a convenient place to keep it. It is a second refrigerator in my basement that now holds my kegs, some DME and other ingredients. The hops are in the freezer on top.

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

kombat - its on its way :D

The instructions said to put them in the fridge?!?!?!?!?!? Why?

Okay, it's not your fault but that's ridiculous. LME is basically sugar syrup and sugar syrup, like honey which has been extracted in perfect condition from ancient egyptian tombs, is practically impossible to spoil or go bad. Those instructions are just insane.

====
Ah! The instructions *recommend* putting them into the fridge. They just don't want you leaving them out in direct sunlight or opened, unsealed, and stored in a hot garage for 20 years.

Yes that is what the instructons said. Yeast, hops in LME in the fridge.

Yeast and hops I can see storing in the fridge. LME? Meh, you're totally fine.

It would be better in the fridge for long term storage (wks or months). Not to prevent it from going bad but just to maintain the flavors. I think a few days at room temp will have no effect at all.

It would be better in the fridge for long term storage (wks or months). Not to prevent it from going bad but just to maintain the flavors. ...

Meh.... I doubt that. If sealed and stored out of direct sunlight I very seriously doubt that. I don't actually know, but I seriously doubt that. I could be wrong though.

Most Chemicals including flavor compounds break down over time when exposed to light heat or oxygen, especially if in liquid form. The malt experts warn against letting malt extracts sit too long at room temp.

Maybe it's for the yeast and hops, which would be better off in the fridge. Should the instructions have been better, yes, but at the same time, maybe they figure if we cover all the bases, it's less likely to not miss a step.

Although, wow, LME is tough enough to pour, imagine it at 38 degrees.

Luckily I read this thread, it reminded me I had 3 satchels of US-05 in the bag with the grain, I just brought home, sittin in the basement.

Back