PVC to move hot water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclevername

Reaction score
Just got my march pump yesterday and I have spent the day rigging and playing with it. My first brew day using it will be Monday. I was also planning to use some short runs of PVC to move hot water but I just noticed the PVC is only rated to 23c for pressure ratings. There is not going to be any significant pressure on it so that doesn't bother me. But that got me thinking water I will be moving will be three times that hot. Will the PVC give off favors or out gas at those temps. Any else use PVC to move hot water?

I have an electric HLT that uses CPVC instead of PVC. I'd recommend using that. If you're having a hard time finding it, McMaster-Carr has everything you could possibly want.

ajwillys said:
I have an electric HLT that uses CPVC instead of PVC. I'd recommend using that. If you're having a hard time finding it, McMaster-Carr has everything you could possibly want.

Thanks I will look for it.

if there is Home Depot or a Lowes in your area, they usually carry CPVC in most of the normal home owner sizes, 1/2", 3/8", 3/4". Just my $0.02 worth.

Yeah, don't use PVC for hot water. Around 140 degress, it begins to leach vinyl chloride, which not only means you have vinyl chloride in your beverage, but will lead to failure. CPVC is used for hot water.

Back