My first brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My blowoff tube might be a bit long. I am having fun though; enjoying the start of this journey. I would like to tape my temp probe to my carboy and insulate it for my next brew. I have a few things I'd like to change next time. It's all good though! This hobby could become addictive...

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=CtyqdX1wSKg[/ame]

:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

CHEERS

Progress report for my fellow newbie brew dogs. The darn case on the camera loves to make some noise -- sorry 'bout that! Looking forward to "The Brew Strikes Back" and "Return of the Brew." Check ya later!

CHEERS

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so this brew has been fermenting for... coming up on a week. I'm feeling more relaxed now -- just letting it do its thing; hanging out in its 65-66 degree chamber.

I will let it go for nearly another week in this carboy, before I begin taking readings. I'm aware that it isn't a requirement, but the plan at that point is to rack to a clean and sanitized 5 gallon carboy, if all goes well with the readings.

Contrary to what was said in the vid, I may simply cold crash for one week after racking (and then keg), instead of letting it go one week at the same fermentation temp. in the fresh 5 gallon carboy -- and then cold crashing for another week on top of that (what was said in the vid).

Either way, I am in no rush; having lots of fun with this.

The vid update. I feel like I'm turning into one of those vloggers.

CHEERS

Brew is still looking good. No signs of contamination. The fermentation has visibly stopped. We're going on a week now. I will probably press on for about another week until taking a few hydrometer readings. Enjoying some Karbach tonight. Cheers, gents.

Here is a good explanation of how the yeast work and why you shouldn't bottle or keg too soon. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

In your second video it appears that the sensor for your temperature contoller is just loose in the freezer. While this works pretty well it would be even better if you control the temperature of the fermenting beer instead of the air around it. Put the sensor against the carboy, a little insulation on top of it, and tape it to the carboy so the sensor is below the top of the beer.

I can't tell what beer you are brewing but here's some generalities about making better beer. Very light colored and low alcohol beers mature quickly but they still need a little time to mature after the fermentation is complete. As you go up in alcohol or toward darker beers, the time to mature goes up. Make a dark beer with high alcohol and the time really goes up.

Here is a good explanation of how the yeast work and why you shouldn't bottle or keg too soon. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

---Thank you for the article! I am definitely in no rush to keg. The article reinforces my plan to kick back and let the yeast do their thing.---

In your second video it appears that the sensor for your temperature contoller is just loose in the freezer. While this works pretty well it would be even better if you control the temperature of the fermenting beer instead of the air around it. Put the sensor against the carboy, a little insulation on top of it, and tape it to the carboy so the sensor is below the top of the beer.

---I plan on doing that for my next brew, as stated in my first post. It seems to be a solid concept, for sure.---

I can't tell what beer you are brewing but here's some generalities about making better beer. Very light colored and low alcohol beers mature quickly but they still need a little time to mature after the fermentation is complete. As you go up in alcohol or toward darker beers, the time to mature goes up. Make a dark beer with high alcohol and the time really goes up.

---I should have included the description of the type of beer I'm fermenting. A description was entered, but it only appears to be visible on YouTube and doesn't appear here; where it really needs to be. I will copy and paste some of it:

T-Can & Bearcat's Wheaten Beatdown: After everything I've read, I will say that this beer should turn out as an American Wheat/APA Hybrid.

I used 6lbs. of Wheat LME (65% Wheat; 35% Barley), plus the hop additions mentioned in the video. I also used some specialty grains, per the instructions.---

I'll also state again that US-05 yeast was used, along with Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend (half a teaspoon for the last 10 minutes of the boil)

Thanks for the article link and the insight, RM-MN -- always appreciated!

Until next time... :mug:

Okay, so a quick update...

Starting gravity for this extract brew is 1.045. I didn't take an OG reading because all directions were followed. As we know, the OG given with the kit is usually dead on - if the liquid volume is good to go (with extract kits at least). I took a gravity reading about a week and a half ago - got the grav down to 1.011. Cool...

I planned on kegging my first batch this weekend. I have a shiny brand new CO2 tank. I called my local welding shop ahead of time to make sure it was okay to bring my tank in. The lady on the phone said, "We do fill tanks. Bring it in and we will take care of you."

As I came through the door, the same lady I spoke with on the phone greeted me with "CO2?" I gave her my tank and she walked to the back. A man returned 15 seconds later with my tank and told me that he'd have to purge his lines to fill it, and that he wouldn't be able to do that until Monday.

I asked him what he meant (I'm still learning - didn't know about line purging), and he informed me that he'd have to do a line purge to ensure no contaminants get into my tank. He went on, telling me it would cost his business $100 to fill just one tank, and that it simply wouldn't be worth it for him - especially for a tank as small as mine. At that point I no longer felt as though he was explaining an issue to me - I was under the impression that he really didn't want my business; Because of that, I said, "Well I wouldn't want to cost you money. Thanks," and proceeded to leave. Looking back on it, what he said wasn't terribly rude; it was how it was said.

He then said he'd be okay with filling it, but it would be 2-3 days until he'd be able to; that he'd fill it when he fills all the other CO2 tanks. I ended up leaving the tank with him. He wrote my name and number on the tank with a marker. He said he'd probably call on Monday. I thanked him and left.

The saga continues...

P.S. I never racked to secondary - no reason to. The sample I took with my thief for the hydrometer reading was clear enough for me (tasty too). I have no plans to cold crash before filling my keg either. The beer will definitely not be green when kegged, having been in primary for a month or so. I believe the first pint from the carbed keg will be a solid representation of what this beer should taste like. So much for a short update.

I didn't mean to abandon this thread. However, this will be my last post for "My first brew." I just want to close it out properly.

It turned out alright! Tasty brew for sure. My brother helped me float the keg. I did a bit of reading prior to this first attempt, paid attention to detail, and it paid off!

I have since brewed another beer - a more traditional APA - still an extract brew. This time I went with a full volume boil though - and I moved from the stovetop to a Dark Star.

When I run out of CO2, I'll probably be exchanging my empty tank for a full tank at Airgas. Getting an empty tank filled in my locale is a bit of a headache.

The YouTube vid is one of my first pours from my first batch. The picture attachment is from that same first brew.

I'm about to order my first IPA kit! Brewing is quite enjoyable. I don't plan on going all grain for a while.

image.jpg

Back