The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO tries and I love her for that but I get a lot of "mm that's good."
Me- "what do you like the most about it?'
Her - "I don't know, its just good"
Me in my mind- "ok... well at least she thinks its good"

There was a Vietnam vet who use to do the same thing at a place here in Madison called The Buckeye. It's since closed but that guy was like clockwork; he would come in, say hello to everyone and everyone would hello back (NORM!), order his Miller Lite with a glass of ice, sip, OK SEE YOU EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD NIGHT.

I asked him about it once and he said it's from when he was overseas and got really tired of drinking warm beer.

Dragging this comment back up from a few months ago - he may well have spent some time in the Philippines. Here lots of people don't have refrigeration so the beers they buy may not be cold by the time they drink them... we're not talking cellar temps either, it can be body temperature :eek:

The trick is to pop to the store a few doors away where people make a business out of selling ice. Break it into chunks and pop some in your glass.

Its not something I'll ever do with my homebrew, but at least one of the local beers (Red Horse - a strong, fizzy yellow lagerish concoction brewed with the leftovers after San Miguel make their other beers) is actually improved - and made just about tolerable - by a big lump of ice. I won't drink it any other way :cool:

Almost about beer. . .
My wife worked yesterday, so I made the corned beef & cabbage. Of course I made it the right way so I get something like "it doesn't taste as good." What does my son (7) do but pipe in and say "Dad put a beer in it." Which leads to the whole "no wonder" etc., etc.

I didn't do anything stupid with the beer addition either . . . it was a bit less than a pint of a special bitter I brewed, watered down with a couple quarts of water. If anything it was probably the bay leaves and peppercorns boiling in there that made it taste so different.

Almost about beer. . .
My wife worked yesterday, so I made the corned beef & cabbage. Of course I made it the right way so I get something like "it doesn't taste as good." What does my son (7) do but pipe in and say "Dad put a beer in it." Which leads to the whole "no wonder" etc., etc.

I didn't do anything stupid with the beer addition either . . . it was a bit less than a pint of a special bitter I brewed, watered down with a couple quarts of water. If anything it was probably the bay leaves and peppercorns boiling in there that made it taste so different.

I feel ya.. I used a pint of my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout in a chilli once... it was the best chilli i made... Some people concentrate on the individual flavors they cant pin point instead of how it the whole recipe tastes.

Amatures.. keep using that beer...

My homebrew is more expensive and better tasting than the commercial beers here, so I wouldn't waste it on cooking when I can buy a bottle for much less. I save my beer for drinking :)

My homebrew is more expensive and better tasting than the commercial beers here, so I wouldn't waste it on cooking when I can buy a bottle for much less. I save my beer for drinking :)

you say you would waste your cooking with beer rather than waste your beer with cooking? why would you not want to use a better tasting ingredient?

the advice for wine is cook with what you would drink, applies also to beer.

you say you would waste your cooking with beer rather than waste your beer with cooking? why would you not want to use a better tasting ingredient?

the advice for wine is cook with what you would drink, applies also to beer.

THIS! Beer battered goodness using my Cascadian Dark Ale is infinitely better than using BMC. :mug:

I've found so far that the best tasting beer in a stew is a rather nasty tasting local beer called Red Horse - why it tastes so good boiled with beef I'm not sure, but a bottle of that costs me half of the costs of my homebrew, then my sister-in-law will drink the leftovers.

And for beer battering, a San Miguel Pilsen or Manila Beer works pretty well - I like the extra thickness in the batter that comes from a highly carbonated beer. I do drink these beers when I have no homebrew (not so much of the Red Horse) - so I'm not buying beer just for cooking that I wouldn't drink. While I'm bored of the Pale Pilsen (fizzy yellow lager) style - they're pretty decent examples of it - much better than the BMC beers you get in America.

Plus ingredients for homebrew are hard to come by here, and any commercial beer that isn't fizzy yellow lager is crazy expensive. So for now my homebrew is being treated almost like gold dust... Good thing I haven't messed up a batch yet, tipping away a whole 40 pints would make me cry!

Perhaps for a VERY special occasion I might try cooking with homebrew, but I cook with beer often enough that replacing every time would make a serious dent in my supply of decent beer.

Reno_eNVy said:
THIS! Beer battered goodness using my Cascadian Dark Ale is infinitely better than using BMC. :mug:

The best beer batter I have ever made I used my brown ale. Second best I used a hoppy ipa I made. Moral of the story: homebrew makes awesome beer batter.

so the other day my friend invited me to his buddies house and I was in the middle of brewing my Pale Ale.. I said I would come over When I was done... And i told him i would bring my irish red over (generally i found it applies to many different palate) So When I arrived I heard three things I've never heard before...

1. I thought you were brewing a pale ale
Which I then explained the process

2. When do you add the vodka or do you use rum
Which I explained how yeast works

3. Then out of no where... This taste a little bit better than natty ice.. but it's no Bud light ( I never thought that beer would have ever be compared like that)

so the other day my friend invited me to his buddies house and I was in the middle of brewing my Pale Ale.. I said I would come over When I was done... And i told him i would bring my irish red over (generally i found it applies to many different palate) So When I arrived I heard three things I've never heard before...

3. Then out of no where... This taste a little bit better than natty ice.. but it's no Bud light ( I never thought that beer would have ever be compared like that)

Hahahah weird stuff. I wouldn't know what to say to that.

Hahahah weird stuff. I wouldn't know what to say to that.

"I need to find some new friends" comes to mind...

Cheers! ;)

The first two aren't all that weird for a newb. Nor are they particularly stupid.

They simply don't know how the fermentation process works, and if they've seen a show like Moonshiners (not being aware of the difference between fermentation and distillation), where they're able to drink it right away, it's understandable why they might expect the same thing with beer.

The second one is also understandable, since a number of liqueurs are made like that. There are also a number of products available to homebrewers that are essentially just concentrates, intended to be added to a neutral grain spirit (ie vodka) to produce a flavored liquor or liqueur. Again, probably just a case of knowing a little, but just enough to get things wrong! I'd likewise hesitate to call it stupid or make fun of it.

But number 3... well, at least THAT is worthy of an open season on newbs!

Drinking a RIS I cellared fr a while, and gave everyone around a little snifter. My best buds gf gave a polite yummy noise and told me she liked it cause it was a hoppy beer and she likes hoppy flavors rather than malty flavors. Couldn't tell If she was comparing it to other RIS's or just going
For the lingo.

Bigelow92 said:
Drinking a RIS I cellared fr a while, and gave everyone around a little snifter. My best buds gf gave a polite yummy noise and told me she liked it cause it was a hoppy beer and she likes hoppy flavors rather than malty flavors. Couldn't tell If she was comparing it to other RIS's or just going
For the lingo.

That's absolutely retarded. You should have slapped her.

Taste differs greatly. A friend of mine does not like IPA's. We traveled to Portland (Or) together, stopped at Belmont Station and picked up our ration of "Pliney the Elder" among many other great beers. My wife and I were excited as we would get her bottle of "Pliney" to split. Later, that day I caught our friend peeling a grapefruit and eating the inner membrane and all, then expressing how much she like that flavor. I pointed out that that was one of the signature flavors of a good IPA. A light went on in her head and she has been an IPA drinker ever since. Sometimes we just have to put something into a category that we understand. Needless to say, we did not get her "Pliney".

Me, to my sister: "I started brewing my own beer again. I'll bring you one when I come into town."

Sister: "Oh, great. What kind is it?"

Me: "It's an india pale ale"

Sister: "It doesn't have curry in it, does it?"

:confused:

Hahahah that's actually amazing :D

Not my beer but:
Listening to a local radio show on my way home a few weeks ago and the two guys were talking about doing some upcoming event in a local bar.

The topic of how good the beers are at this bar comes up and this somehow leads to someone mentioning guinness.

Host 1: man, I can only drink like half of one of those things--it's like a meal. I don't know how anyone does it...what are they, like 8-9abv?
Me in car:*immediatly reaches for phone to call in and throw a (mature) tantrum*
Host 2: um, actually I'm pretty sure they're like 4-5 abv same as a budweiser.
Me: *starts dancing in car*

Made my night. :D

Stupidest comment I ever had was when I was at my gf's house for tea and I gave her mum and dad some to try

gf's mum(wine drinker): ewww its muddy and earthy (I had brewed a dark ale)

Gf's dad (actually drinks ale) oh aye its good better than anything we ever made.

Case proven:drunk::D

There is a mythical creature in my neighborhood who we call "the sipper" or "one-sip." He's about 60 years old I'd say, and comes into the bar you are in quietly. He asks, not unpolitely, for a miller lite, and a glass of ice. He pays, puts a dollar under the glass, and then pours the beer over the ice.

Here's the fun part. He takes one sip, and silently leaves. Since he has paid and tipped no one gives him any grief, but we all scratch our heads.

haha :mug:

No matter what the style...scotch ale, red, porter, pale ale Whatever....SWMBO allways says,,,, tastes like budweiser!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha man that chaps my arse!!! lol.

Everytime I bring beer to dinner with my FIL he asks... "is this an ale?". I've explained to him a million times the difference between a lager and ale. I've also explained I don't make lagers. This has gone on for years and it seems silly but it makes me crazy. YES, IT'S A #$%&ING ALE!

No matter what the style...scotch ale, red, porter, pale ale Whatever....SWMBO allways says,,,, tastes like budweiser!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha man that chaps my arse!!! lol.

Everytime I bring beer to dinner with my FIL he asks... "is this an ale?". I've explained to him a million times the difference between a lager and ale. I've also explained I don't make lagers. This has gone on for years and it seems silly but it makes me crazy. YES, IT'S A #$%&ING ALE!

I think they're both doing it on purpose at this point.

Comment #1. UGH!. I don't think I could drink anything that looks so dark.

Followed by Comment #2. Wow! That tastes so good.

bosco

So one of my wife's friends came by.
She said the orange wheat was great. What else do you have on tap.
I poured her a cream ale and she said no, I don't like dark beers.

Gitmoe said:

Very common... I wish a had a buck for every time I've asked someone what type of beer they like, and they say "I like ales". For the people who like "lagers", I'd like to make a high gravity smoked Baltic porter. Hey buddy, it's a lager. Drink up.

Very common... I wish a had a buck for every time I've asked someone what type of beer they like, and they say "I like ales". For the people who like "lagers", I'd like to make a high gravity smoked Baltic porter. Hey buddy, it's a lager. Drink up.

Tropical stout works too. :rockin:

Only ever had one Baltic porter. Did not like at all. But Jamaica's Dragon Stout is surprisingly decent... I'd even go so far as to call it pretty good.

jamiemc18 said:
Stupidest comment I ever had was when I was at my gf's house for tea and I gave her mum and dad some to try

gf's mum(wine drinker): ewww its muddy and earthy (I had brewed a dark ale)

Gf's dad (actually drinks ale) oh aye its good better than anything we ever made.

Case proven:drunk::D

Am I the only one who hears the dad's part in Shrek's voice?

wyoast said:

But does she like Budweiser?

Gitmoe said:

Just lie about it. :) He likes lager. Or print giant labels that only say "ALE".

Latest posts

Back