What is your least favorite month of the year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which month is your least favorite?

• Jan-Feb

• Mar-Apr

• May-June

• July-Aug

• Sept-Oct

• Nov-Dec

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jayhem

Reaction score
What is your least favorite month of the year, and why?

I will start:

FEBRUARY

why:
February is the worst month for weather in Virginia. It is cold, wet, humid, muddy and generally nasty for any and all outdoor activities. I tend to brew more and drink too much in this month as there is nothing better to do when I get home from work. I also dislike February because it was an Ex-gf's birth month and Valentines day falls in February. Also I hate the short days and darkness before I even get home from work that happens before daylight savings time occurs.

Your turn!

March. "God made march should eternity prove too short." - Pat McManus. Muddy and rainy and miserable with snow coming every few hours just to melt and make more mud. Horrid.

March. "God made march should eternity prove too short." - Pat McManus. Muddy and rainy and miserable with snow coming every few hours just to melt and make more mud. Horrid.

March is a close second for me as well for similar reasons...more mud, a few nice days teasing of spring and then right back to sub-freezing. :mad:

I'm voting Feb because I think Jayhem needs a bit of perspective. Feb up here is Cold, Windy, Cold, and also Cold. While it ain't no Fargo, ND, it's still the suckiest month of the year IMO, unless you like skiing, ice fishing, freezing your balls off with a few hours of overcast daylight each day.

I'd trade 2 months of Michigan Feb for 2 months of Virginia Feb in a heartbeat! Last time I went to Virginia (only time, actually) it was 50 degrees in the morning and I was wearing shorts and the locals had heavy coats on! Granted, this wasn't February. That would have made for a nice vacation.

I'm voting Feb because I think Jayhem needs a bit of perspective. Feb up here is Cold, Windy, Cold, and also Cold. While it ain't no Fargo, ND, it's still the suckiest month of the year IMO, unless you like skiing, ice fishing, freezing your balls off with a few hours of overcast daylight each day.

I'd trade 2 months of Michigan Feb for 2 months of Virginia Feb in a heartbeat! Last time I went to Virginia (only time, actually) it was 50 degrees in the morning and I was wearing shorts and the locals had heavy coats on! Granted, this wasn't February. That would have made for a nice vacation.

While I don't claim that we have terribly cold winters (compared to some states) you have to understand that I grew up in New Orleans and spent my highschool years in Houston, TX. Up until I moved to VA for college I had never even seen snow other than one Christmas we went to PA to visit the relatives.

You can be sure that I would be wearing a coat or hoodie and jeans at 50F. I generally only ride the motorcycle to work if the morning temp is at least 41F and rising. My 6% body fat does not help my cold tolerance. I guess I need to drink more homebrew.

When I lived in NJ I probably would have agreed with Feb. I can remember looking forward to Feb ending with hopes of warmer and overall better weather in March.

Now that I'm in Southern CA, the winters are not bad. The current time of the - end of May and into June is my least favorite. First, we have what people call "June Gloom" where it is often foggy and overcast. Second, it is the start of tourist season. It's always tough to get used to the influx of tourists. It takes a good 2+ weeks to adapt.

July is the worst for me. When the temp is consistently 90 and the humidity makes the air feel like mud, i'm miserable. I'd much rather have the cold and snow than the heat and humidity. Sweating blows, except in the gym.

August-September: (really some of June and most of July as well)

Oppressively hot, usually dry (precipitation) despite the horrid humidity.
I have to work like crazy to keep anything alive in the garden.
Can't ride the motorcycle with the ridiculous heat and humidity.
Outdoor activities are pretty much out of the question and/or miserable.
AC runs non stop and the electric bill skyrockets even thought the house is so well insulated I rarely have to run the heat in the winter.
No AC in the warehouse so anytime I step out on the production floor I soak through the shirt before I get back to my office.
Production floor temps are often 5 to 15 degrees warmer than the ambient outside. That puts summer temps inside near 110 with 80~90% humidity.
Brewing beer in the summer sucks too. Chilling is a pain unless you use lbs of ice and a recirculation pump. Hot enough without a burner kicking.

Oh and summer BBQ picnics suck, sorry I do not care to drag my food out into the oppressive heat just so I can battle flies, ants, and mosquitoes. My grill and my smoker are less than 10 feet from my backdoor so I can pop out and check the food in just a few moments while my cold beer waits inside for me to return.

As much as I dislike cold weather I have to agree with the previous poster that the east coast heat and humidity in August is hard to deal with at times.

Personally I am ok riding my motorcycle up to about 105F and humid so long as I'm riding out in the country with no lights or traffic to slow me down!

You should try dealing with summer with only one window A/C unit in the master bedroom. It gets up to about 93F in our house at 3pm in August. The trick is to open all the windows at night and run window fans to get the house temp down to the 6am temp and then close the windows until about 2pm, running box fans until then. Once it gets obressively hot inside it's time to open the windows again and put the box fans in...by then it's heading toward evening and starts cooling off again. Obviously this would not work in Florida but it works in VA since it usually cools 65-75 at night even in August.

I dislike february the most. If i lived eight hours west in CO then it wouldnt be a problem as i could go snowboarding :) but living in kansas with the cold, wind and snow and NO MOUNTAINS, it is not worth it. Pretty gloomy month if you ask me, especially all the stuff i am obligated to do on the 14th

Jan Feb, Hunting season over, to cold and rainy to fish, dark when I get to work dark when I get home, only thing to do is ski and I don't get home till 3:00 am If I do that. Yea its mostly a tinker with projects and video game time of year.

Plus I get SAD when I cant do things outside.

January. I used to work nights, so I'd wake up in the dark and go to bed in the dark. Normally you'd think December would be worse, but that at least has Holidays to make me happy.

January. I used to work nights, so I'd wake up in the dark and go to bed in the dark. Normally you'd think December would be worse, but that at least has Holidays to make me happy.

Yea that whole going to work in the dark and coming home from work in the dark is party of my hate for winter months.

I love coming home at 5:15 and still having 3 hours of daylight to do my yard work or sit on the deck with a homebrew and a bbq grill and watch the sunset after 8pm. :mug:

I voted July/August cuz that's fire season. Some years are worse than others, but there's always a forest fire during those months. A few years ago I had to bugout fast to get clear of a fire, I made it out ok, but my whole vacation was shot & that whole area of the Bitterroot was burned out.
Regards, GF.

Back