Recipes--Extract, partial or All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My first post and probably a very stupid question......unfortunately likely to be one of many as I figure this home brew thing out.
Me: New to home brewing, have done and bottled two brews so far, a Extract Sierra Nevada clone and a partial mash modified Denny's Rye smile IPA. I am learning something every brew and slowly modifying my equipment and brew process as i figure out what works best for me.
I am at the stage where I want to build a mash tun so I can better try out some of these recipes but while I wait to do this until my next paycheque, I am having difficulty looking at recipes and figuring out if they are Extract, partial mash or all grain, unless it says so right at the top of the recipe. Is there a hint someone can give me? Especially to distinguish between partial and Extract.... thanks all

Extracts will have between 5 and 10 LBS of Extract be it LME or DME. Partial's will have between 3-5 LBS of extract and roughly the same amount of Base malt grain. i am by no means an expert just what I have noticed. Most Recipes on here will be either All grain or Extract. You can attempt to convert an All Grain to extract by using what i believe to a close approximation ratio of 1.3 LBS Grain to 1 LBS of LME.
I am sure someone who knows MUCH more than I will provide a better explanation and ratio.

Have fun,
Martin

Extract and partial mash will have the additions of DME (dry malt extract) or LME (Liquid malt extract) They can have additions of steeping grains and or grains for your partial mash, or all by themselves. Pretty much if it has LME or DME it is some form of extract brew.

AG will give you a grain bill and then a mash temp and time.

the rest of the recipe as far as boil times and hop additions are the same for each batch.

Hope this helps or someone else can give a better explanation that this noob.

All grain you should recognize because there is no extract. The difference between partial mash and extract with steeping grains is the type of malt and the steeping procedure. Partial mash must have a base malt with diastatic power, and the mash temp should be specified and more controlled, usually between 148-158 degrees, for a longer time, like 45-60 min typically. It really has nothing to do with amounts, you could do a partial mash of 1 lb of grain if you wanted. Grains like crystal and roasted malts have no enzymes, so alone they are just steeping. If grains like 2-row, pale, pilsner, wheat malt, munich, etc. are included in the recipe that would be a mash (because there is enzymatic conversion of starch to sugar during the steeping process if held at the appropriate temp).

Back