Not a Hophead Yet, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of "bitter" beers. I couldn't really see what everyone loved about IPA's. Once I started brewing (and I'm still early in this journey), I started learning about hops and what they bring to the party. I learned that hops are more than just bittering; I learned about the aromas and flavors of different hops. Now, I can taste a good IPA and enjoy the citrusy/floral/fruity/piney/resiney/grassy/herby/spicy (still working on dank) aroma and flavor. It's so much more and better than just "bitter"!

Hahaha! "Lupilin Shift" dead ahead :D

It's ok, I used to do batches with on-paper IBUs well over 100 when I was growing my own hops and actually enjoyed the beer-to-mouth combat :D
But, I'm old AF, with attenuated senses, so maybe that's not for everyone...

Cheers! ;)

i just like a kiss of hops myself, prefer malt forward.....tastes more nutritious to me....
That's always been my preference as well; ambers are my favorite style. I've always liked malty over hoppy, but as I've learned more about this hobby, the more I've come to appreciate hops and the complexity they bring to beer! That's been the biggest surprise in my so-far short brewing career.

I'm glad you're exploring new worlds!
I count myself among those homebrewers that grew rather tired of hops (and I haven't even gone through the hop-crazy phase first). I do enjoy the occasional IPA, but I wouldn't want to work through 20 liters of it.

Last edited:
Back