Northern Brewer Ace of Spades Timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting the Northern Brewer Ace of Spades. I brewed it Sunday afternoon and it bubbled away for about 4 days. It hasn't bubbled in several days. I took a sample tonight and it's at 1.013. Assuming the OG of 1.068 (I didn't measure the OG sincee I generally trust the posted OG since it's an extract batch), this should be an 80% attenuation and be done fermenting. I plan to sample again tomorrow and start the dry hopping process assuming it hasn't changed.

If I do, would I be crazy to keg on Wednesday evening, rapid carb it, and bottle some from the keg on Friday? We're going camping with family and I would love to take some with me to show off. However, I wouldn't want to show off a poor product because of rushing.

Should I be more patient, or is this doable?

Seems pretty reasonable, I wouldn't worry about going too fast with a hop forward beer, quite the opposite is true...if it tastes good, drink it! Most of the clean fermenting west coast strains don't need much time to clean up... If u were on the cake shorter than a week u could be concerned, but pro brewers are often under pressure and can move it off more quickly than that.
It depends on FG and flavor...
If u have a hop bag u can sanitize u could suspend it in the keg using some dental floss with a stainless weight in there... U want to hold it in the beer but not let it sink to the bottom...
Keg hopping like that I wouldn't let it go more than 10 days at cold temps...
Just a thought...

I brewed the same kit on the same day. Dry hopped Thursday morning and kegging today.
If it were me, I would dry hop ASAP, keg Wednesday and see what it taste like on Friday. You might find it's good enough to take some with you but not as good as its going to be.

I use US-05 most of the time and the beer seems to benefit more from time in the cold keg rather than the fermenter. Keg hoping has given me mixed results. There has been times when I had good results leaving the hops in there until the keg was empty and other times I immediately got a undesirable flavor and had to pull the bag out.

There are some around here that package very quickly and have had good results. If it's done I'd dry hop today then keg on Tuesday. If you keg on Wednesday night that's really only 2 days of carbonating. 3 days is plenty for dry hopping. Then go 30psi for 36 hours then 14 for 30 more hours . Then purge and go to 12 and bottle. I think you'll be just fine . A buddy of mine wants to brew this beer . Post pics and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the advice. I followed your suggestions and just started the dry hoping. I'll wait till Tuesday evening and keg as suggested.

I tasted (well...drank) the sample and it tasted quite nice considering it was warm, flat, and from the bottom of the barrel with a decent amount of traub.

I got this one during the Northern Brewer IOA sale for $23.99, so I'm sure it will have been worth that. I will let you know if I think it's worth the usual $42.99, though I pretty much like everything and don't have a very discerning pallet, so ymmv...

Back