Nomenclature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raudhbjorn

Reaction score
A person who makes beer is a brewer.
A person who makes wine is a vintner or a zymurgist.
A person who makes mead is a mazer.

What do you call a person who makes soft drinks?

I'm leaning towards Phizzicist. What do you guys think?

I will be using that term - thanks!

I put it in my signature yesterday when I sent an email to Galcos Soda Pop Stop, they commented on it!

I thought a Zymurgist was fermentation in general and not specifically wine.

"Definition: a scientist who studies the chemical process of fermentation in brewing and distilling; also, by extension, a brewer "

Soda jerks get the name from jerking on the taps for serving not from making the syrup or carbonating the water. They were just a show while preparing the soda.

Phizzicist is pretty good...or maybe phizzologist

In the UK there's not the history of sodas - we don't even call them that over here - it's just 'soft drinks'. Soft drinks are all encompassing - fruit juices, tea & coffee etc.

Because of that a 'soda jerk' wouldn't work here, even if it was a correct description of what we do. My business cards state my tile as 'blendmaster & bottler', my email signature is 'chief cook & bottle washer' to which I think I will add 'head fizzacist' too!

Back