No signs of activity but fermenting slowly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskid

Reaction score
Have a Zymurgy Stout Recipe in my 7 gallon fast fermenter. Yeast pitched and temp held at 69-70 degrees F. After just under 72 hours I've seen no visible activity out of my blow off tube.....zero. However, appears to be slight krausen ring in the fermenter. Not what I would expect to be complete at all. OG was 1.062 and target FG is 1.012. Wondering what is going on with my fermentation I took a refractometer reading (just under 72 hours) after pitching and gravity is down to 1.046 so it appears to be fermenting. Just at a snails pace or more specifically not vigorously at all.

First time ever pitching dry unhydrated Safale S-05. Also probably did not let the yeast warm to room temp out of the refrigerator before pitching.

Big problems here? It's alright let it keep going? Go get another pack of S-05, hydrate and re-pitch? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

No big problem, yet! Get another pack or 2 and try it. In the future, make a yeast starter first. Yeast packages don't have enough to get going very fast. If you make a starter, it will grow into plenty in a day or 2.

Sounds like the yeast is doing their thing, so not sure I’d worry too much. I just racked a 1.072 off a single package of us-05 that went to 1.008.

That yeast started working in under 24 hours.

I always re-hydrate and throw yeast nutrient in the boil with the last hops addition though. Just less work for them to get their job underway.

Maybe some yeast energizer wouldn’t hurt if you have some handy?

First question: did you punch your numbers into a correcter|? Once fermentation starts, you won't get a correct number from the refractometer alone.
At a fairly high temp like that, I wouldn't be surprised if fermentation is almost done - if I keep it around 70, I'm usually done in a couple days.
I personally prefer fermenting really low, closer to 60 - 62, taking the longer time for better (in my experience, with my rig and my tastes) results.

However, appears to be slight krausen ring in the fermenter. Not what I would expect to be complete at all. OG was 1.062 and target FG is 1.012. Wondering what is going on with my fermentation I took a refractometer reading (just under 72 hours) after pitching and gravity is down to 1.046 so it appears to be fermenting. Just at a snails pace or more specifically not vigorously at all.

It's time to put your refractometer away and take a sample with your hydrometer. No activity in the blowoff means you had a leak, not that fermentation isn't happening. The krausen ring is confirmation of that.

I wouldn’t worry. Anytime I use a blow off tube I don’t see much activity except my starsan foaming. Your tube will let out more air so you’ll get a big bubble compared to it trying to escape through your airlock.
imagine one big pop coming every so often instead of a pop,pop,pop coming from your airlock.
if that makes any sense.

To summarize: You are 72 hours in, and fermentation is happening. I see no reason to add more yeast.

First, thanks everyone for your feedback.

Here’s where I’m at and what I’ve done. On day three in the fermenter and after no signs of significant fermentation went to the homebrew store ready to pick up another pack of Safale S-05, re-hydrate and re-pitch. Instead opted to buy yeast energizer to see if I could wake the yeast up. Came home and pitched the appropriate amount of the yeast energizer. Wednesday evening thru today (today is the 6th full day of fermentation) no visible change after the yeast energizer. This evening pulled a sample and with a hydrometer measured 1.038-1.039. At this point not convinced it’s going to move much more. OG was 1.062 and target FG is 1.012.

The last thing is even after changing out one collection ball (to collect sediment...harvest yeast etc) the sample I pulled tonight still had a large amount of sediment and has not really cleared much or dropped out. Assuming this is because the yeast really never ate that well.

Summary, what do I do know? Freaking at this point. This was one of my first batches hitting all my numbers before pitching yeast and now this. Know it’s not common but can I rehydrate and pitch another pack of yeast at this point seven days in? Is there a negative reason to do that? Do I just sit and wait it out to see what the yeast does and if all the sediment settles out? Really only logical thing I can think of is to pitch another yeast pack.

IMO, you're fretting too early. Three and/or six days from post yeast pitching and it's not at FG doesn't really mean much for me. I tend to give my batches at least two to three weeks to get things done. Never had a single issue with any of my brews that way.

Keep dicking around with it and all you're doing is opening up the chances of infection/contamination happening.

Learn the art of being patient with these things. Unless your yeast was old enough to not really be viable enough to do the job, just give it TIME.

Was this an extract or all grain batch. That information will actually help more.

IMO, you're fretting too early. Three and/or six days from post yeast pitching and it's not at FG doesn't really mean much for me. I tend to give my batches at least two to three weeks to get things done. Never had a single issue with any of my brews that way.

Keep dicking around with it and all you're doing is opening up the chances of infection/contamination happening.

Learn the art of being patient with these things. Unless your yeast was old enough to not really be viable enough to do the job, just give it TIME.

Was this an extract or all grain batch. That information will actually help more.

All grain. BIAB. This is only the second time I’ve used dry yeast direct pitch. And first using Safale S-05. Only other time was dry pitching Lalvin 71B champagne yeast into a cider which will eat thru anything. Have always used liquid direct pitch or made a starter first. Point is with Safale just don’t know what to expect. Thought maybe since I did not rehydrate it would take more time to get started but all posts indicate Safale longest lag is about 48 hrs. For the samples I’ve taken I’ve not opened the fermenter and used a sample port. So I’ve only opened the vessel once to add the energizer.

Here’s where I’m at and what I’ve done. On day three in the fermenter and after no signs of significant fermentation went to the homebrew store ready to pick up another pack of Safale S-05, re-hydrate and re-pitch. Instead opted to buy yeast energizer to see if I could wake the yeast up. Came home and pitched the appropriate amount of the yeast energizer. Wednesday evening thru today (today is the 6th full day of fermentation) no visible change after the yeast energizer. This evening pulled a sample and with a hydrometer measured 1.038-1.039. At this point not convinced it’s going to move much more. OG was 1.062 and target FG is 1.012.

You say "no signs of significant fermentation," but your gravity reading of 1.038 says otherwise.

Summary, what do I do know? Freaking at this point. This was one of my first batches hitting all my numbers before pitching yeast and now this. Know it’s not common but can I rehydrate and pitch another pack of yeast at this point seven days in? Is there a negative reason to do that? Do I just sit and wait it out to see what the yeast does and if all the sediment settles out? Really only logical thing I can think of is to pitch another yeast pack.

dontpanic.jpg

My advice is to relax. Take another gravity sample in a couple days if you can do it without introducing O2. Otherwise wait a week or so and see where you're at.

As long as your mash temps weren't off (too high) it will ferment to where it should. Of course, improper handling of the yeast can cause all kinds of 'issues' for you. Anytime I've used dry yeast (meads) I've always rehydrated it before pitching.

What did you do to oxygenate your wort before pitching the yeast?? If nothing, that could be at least part of your issue. I use pure O2 to give my yeasties enough to build healthy cell walls at the start. IMO/IME, that does a LOT to reduce fermentation start lag time.

Wanted to give a final update. After letting it sit untouched at 64F for a few weeks the yeast never kicked back in. Ended at 1.030 for a low ABV beer. The attenuation issue I’m chalking up to missing my 158F mash temp at 160F and not rehydrating dry yeast, adding yeast nutrient or making a starter this time. The suspended crap floating in the beer did finally settle out when I dialed the temp down a bit which I’m happy about. Again, was in a hurry as I always am with kids and had little time so also forgot to add whirlfloc this time as I always do on brew days. Also dumped the entire kettle Trub in the fermenter this time instead of racking off the Trub Into the fermenter. This was the first time I’ve ever dumped 100% of the kettle content into the fermenter.

Overall the beer tastes good from the hydrometer sample I drank. We’ll see in two or three weeks of bottle conditioning. Wish the ABV was up there (see earlier note about two young crazy kids :) but as long as it tastes good in the end it’s all good. It was a new yeast for me, have some lessons learned and on to the next batch. Thank you for everyone’s input.

Just to add a bit of a sanity check to your negative experience with US-05... This is a ubiquitous yeast. It does not need to be re-hydrated, nor should a starter be created. It works predictably and ferments at a wide range of temps from the low 60s into the mid 70s. You should use a whole pack for a 5 gallon batch of "normal" gravity 1.060 or under. At 1.062 you'd be fine, if nominally under-pitched.

This being said, your experience did happen, so...

The only logical explanation for extreme lack of attenuation (52%) with this or any yeast, when fermented at normal temps and pitched at a reasonable rate, is a mash temperature that's well out of range. Could it be that you either measured incorrectly, did not stir with excessive heat applied, or your thermometer is not calibrated? If you were well over 160ºF for most of the mash, I would expect a result like you experienced.

In short, you don't need heroic measures with dry yeast or US-05 in particular. It had to be something in the mash that caused your experience.

Wanted to give a final update. After letting it sit untouched at 64F for a few weeks the yeast never kicked back in. Ended at 1.030 for a low ABV beer. The attenuation issue I’m chalking up to missing my 158F mash temp at 160F and not rehydrating dry yeast, adding yeast nutrient or making a starter this time. The suspended crap floating in the beer did finally settle out when I dialed the temp down a bit which I’m happy about. Again, was in a hurry as I always am with kids and had little time so also forgot to add whirlfloc this time as I always do on brew days. Also dumped the entire kettle Trub in the fermenter this time instead of racking off the Trub Into the fermenter. This was the first time I’ve ever dumped 100% of the kettle content into the fermenter.

Overall the beer tastes good from the hydrometer sample I drank. We’ll see in two or three weeks of bottle conditioning. Wish the ABV was up there (see earlier note about two young crazy kids :) but as long as it tastes good in the end it’s all good. It was a new yeast for me, have some lessons learned and on to the next batch. Thank you for everyone’s input.
Wait, you MASHED at 160F??? If so, that's your issue right there. If your strike water temp was 160F, then the actual mash temp would have been lower (several degrees lower typically). Even on my full body brews, I don't typically mash at above 156F. At 160F the amount of non-fermenting sugars is significantly higher than at lower temperatures. Which means you WON'T reach a lower FG number.

If you're not using software to figure out that temperature your strike water needs to be at in order to mash at the right temperature (or temperature range) start doing so. IME, different times of the year, and where you're brewing (inside, outside, or variations on both) will also effect your strike water temperature in order to achieve your actual mash temperature.

Latest posts

Back