nitro recipies? is there really one or is it just "a saying"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
probably a stupid question...

do nitro beers require/need changes to a particular recipe or do you just brew whatever recipe normally and it's just a function of how you keg and carbonate the beer once it's finished fermenting?

I've seen reference to "nitro recipes" but all I can see written anywhere is basically where you carb the keg with regular CO2 at a lower pressure and then switch to a higher pressure nitro mix when ready to tap and serve the keg. Is that basically it?

I get the fact that you need to calculate the volume/pressure of CO2 for your keg's temp and desired type beer. And then pick the correct nitro pressure to maintain and dispense the beer. But all that is post brewing/fermenting. Nothing to do with ingredients or how you mash, boil & ferment.

Is there really anything special to a "nitro recipe"? Or is that just a term people toss out there when they are talking about beers they like served on nitro?

The only thing I can think of is the Nitro hides hoppiness if you will. That's why most of your nitro beers are less hoppy beers like stouts . You can put an IPA on gas blend but not sure you get the aroma and the taste that a true IPA has. I would think that a NEIPA would be better on nitro. As for carbing , the way I do it is set on Co2 for a bit then switch over to gas blend. Change my intertap tip and serve at 35psi. I think you can put anything you want on Nitro and you may find some you like and dont. Simple answer is there is not to my knowledge any recipes just for nitro.

Latest posts

Back