Sam Adams Whitewater IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
I really like this beer. Does anyone have a extract recipe for anything like this. AT least real close?
Here is the profile from sam adams web site.
Flavor: Crisp with a citrusy hop punch balanced by the subtle sweetness of apricots
Color: Hazy Amber / 14 SRM
Original Gravity: 14.6 Plato
Alcohol by Vol/Wt: 5.8%ABV – 4.5%ABW
Calories/12 oz.: 197
IBUs: 60
Malt Varieties: Two-row Harrington, Metcalfe, and Copeland pale malts, white wheat
Hop Varieties: Australian Topaz, American Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe and Citra hops
Special Ingredients: Orange peel, coriander, and apricots
Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams ale yeast
Availability: Year Round beginning February 2012

don't know the recipe... but I agree it is pretty good. I am thinking make an IPA and add wheat to get the basic flavor of it?

Couldn't help any with the orange peel, coriander, or apricot but this is def a good start...

This is for a 2.5 gal extract batch

EDIT NOTE: The magnum hops is in there to sub the chinook and well, because I have those on hand.

Whitewater IPA.jpg

I'd love to make something like this. There is a lot of flavors and yet still room for improvements. I'd like to boost the apricot a little, perhaps some amarillo and crystal hops.

ok thanks. The cheapest I could find 32# was like $180 so that makes sense now.

Gonna try the Hopville recipe today. Anyone think 132 IBU is a bit much for 1.060?

Gonna scale back Some to get under 100 IBU, I really have no clue about IBU, I am not a fan of bitter though. I do see the author went up to 154 IBU for his 2nd version of the recipe, but alas no tasting notes...

11.5 fawcett MO
2 white wheat
0.5 carapils
0.5 crystal 20
1.0 columbus 15.4% (40 min)
1.0 cascade %5 (30 min)
0.5 chinook %13 (30 min)
1.0 simcoe %13 (20 min)
0.5 chinook %13 (10 min)
1.0 citra %11 (1 min)

1.0 sweet orange peel (10 min)
0.5 coriander (10 min)
1 LB apricot puree (secondary)
wyeast 3944 (belgian wit)

You know, as I was dumping the apricot in I was asking myself. Are you really gonna save this other 2# for a future brew... Why not dump it all in and see what happens? Too much. It was cloudy, and tart. The beer was pretty good otherwise, but I did dump it rather than drink it.

Latest posts

Back