Too much specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing_Butterball

Reaction score
So I have a Brewers Best Double IPA kit that calls for 9.9lbs of LME, 8oz of Crystal 40L and 4oz of Carapils. So I was thinking about doubling the steeping grains to 16oz of Crystal 40L and 8oz of Carapils. My question is do you think that this will effect my finished product in a negative way? Also I am doing a full boil.

For American IPAs, the crystal malt range that I would recommend is 0-5%. Some people go higher, some go lower; however I would not recommend exceeding about 8%. Carapils is already in extract, and sometimes they even include a bit of crystal depending on the brand and lovibond of the extract. Overall, carapils is unnecessary for Extract IPAs and Crystal malt is optional.

Brewing_Butterball said:
Ok cool, thanks for the advice.:mug:

So would I be crazy to still add more Crystal40L?

I believe a lbs of 40L wouldn't be bad. Just be ready for the flavor to come through the lme

Assuming you don't change the hop additions your final product will have a maltier taste to it and have a slightly fuller body so if you like that, go for it!

No im doing the hop additions according to the recipe which calls for 2 oz of columbus @ 60 another 2 oz of columbus @ 45 i think, and 2 oz of cascade @ flame out. thanks for the replies! I would enjoy a more maltier taste so I think I will get another 8oz of Caramel40L.

:rockin::mug:

Back