Bombastic apple Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
After finding an apple wine recipe, and more research, I modified the original recipe to this:

5 gallons fresh sweet apple cider from a local fruit farm.
5 lbs C&H sugar (the pink and white bag)
7 tsp Yeast nutrient
7 1/2 tsp Acid blend
1 1/4 tsp Wine Tannin
5 campden tabs
1 packet Lalvin EC-118 Yeast

I put the cider, 5 tsp nutrient, acid blend, tannin, and campden tabs, 4 lbs sugar in the primary. I topped it with an empty airlock for 24 hrs.
Re hydrating the yeast was a bit tricky at first, but figured out that if you put 2 oz (I used a shot glass) in a coffee mug, then nuked it for 2 1/2 mins. This brought the temp to 160F, I added 2 1/2 ice cubes which brought the temps down to a cool 105F. Mixed in the yeast and put it back in the microwave to keep warm for 15 mins. The temps drop to about 97F in that time. I put that in the must and let ferment 5 days. On the 5th day I added the 5th lb sugar and 2 more tsp nutrient (probably not needed) . After 7 days I transferred into a glass carboy and let set. I decided not to use the pectic enzyme at all. Gravity did an AMAZING job of clarifying. I siphoned off two 2 liter bottles and went to town. Every one enjoyed the product and I got plenty tipsy.
The next weekend, I I added the ascorbic acid and 5 more campden tabs. Let sit another 24 hrs then made 1 bottle and took the rest back to town, Between 6 people or so, nearly 3 gallons got us all SMASHED!!! I had nearly zero hangover! I even think the headache could have been wadded up coats I used for a pillow when I passed out on the couch!

I have started a new batch, using Morena pure cane sugar (un refined) and I upped the dosage to 8 lbs. According to the hydrometer that should net about 14% ABV. My vinometer said 11% for my first batch. The new batch will be racked maybe 3 times before the canoe trip.

This weekend I am going to get the Cherry cider from the same vendor and hopefully apply the same recipe/technique.

Does anyone have input on use of cherry cider? Will it clear like apple on it's own without enzyme? Will a coffee filter do any good, or be a waste of time? I don't care to buy anymore equipment IE filtration. I like the rustic appearance I have achieved with my first batch.

Please comment or add suggestions!

I guess I put this thread in the wrong place...sorry, this is a wine recipe...

What yeast did you use? Can it withstand an abv of 14%? Also, isn't 160 degrees Fahrenheit a bit hot for yeast? I could be wrong.

Yes, 160 deg is hot for any yeast. In fact it will kill it, but he said he cooled it backdown to 105. I'm not sure why you want to rehydrate that warm though. I normally just use boiled water that's been cooled to room temp. As far as heating to 160, that's not hot enough to kill all the bugs. A general rule is 10 minutes of boiling water at sea level to sanitize water. Longer the higher up you go. Besides all that, unless your ice cube was made from boiled water and kept in a sanitary method, once you tossed it into the cup of heated water whatever bacteria was in/on the ice would have contaminated the water. The good news is wine yeast is aggressive and the higher alcohol retardes unwanted bacteria growth so its kind of hard to infect. Ive got a very similar recipe fermenting right now. I'm curious why you added the last pound of sugar late in the fermentation? As far as the cherry goes, I would just go with the same recipe you had with the apple. Maybe add a campden tablet 24 hours before pitching the yeast unless you know the juice is pasturized. Unless you like sour cherry backsweetening might be good. Maybe reserve a half gallon of juice to sweeten it up after you stop fermentation. More campden and potassium sorbate are used for this.

Good points JayDub... I use Lalvin EC-118, It will handle 18%ABV. Also the instructions on the packet call for 105 deg. As for why I added the 5th pound later in fermentation is simple...I only had 4 lbs when I started. I didn't really think about sanitizing the water for rehydrating, thanks for the input. I wil definitely apply the boiling to my next batch. The batch I have going now is
going well, still bubblin' strong on the 10th day. I'm confident I will reach the 14% mark with ease.

sorry, this is :off:, but the title of your post brought me back to ... ah, the 90's... sometimes I really don't miss them.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol Shaggy...whatever happened to that guy?! My apple wine is also still bubbling away on day 8. I thought I learned patience with making beer but wine is a whole new ball game.

Yep,I still got bubbles too :) I started my new batch to be ready for our canoe trip. Tomorrow I will start a second apple batch and a batch of cherry. I think 15 gallons should be sufficient for the weekend! There will be probably 50 people or more in our group. The other night my neighbor gave me a water cooler, the kind you put the 5 gal jug on. There is power at our campsite, so.... yep, I'm gonna turn the water into wine and have it chilled all weekend! It should be a blast!

Latest posts

Back