NHC 2022

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enter competitions not to win, but for honest feedback. The feedback from NHC 2021 was so poor, I won't be entering in 2022. There are plenty of other competitions.

I enter competitions not to win, but for honest feedback. The feedback from NHC 2021 was so poor, I won't be entering in 2022. There are plenty of other competitions.

Yeah, the NHC has been mostly a competition to compete for medals for a long time. At least with the regional structure there were a lot more people that placed. You could at least brag about getting a 2nd place in a regional, vs now where now only the top 3 out of a pool of 150 get any recognition.

Anybody know if they changed their mind about not giving scores? I know that scores are not a perfect way to evaluate the quality of an entry, but at least is is one measure. Taking the time to give each contestant a score just seems like such a basic requirement of a competition, and NHC costs 3x what most competitions cost.

I had a plan in my head to get beers into local competitions in 2020, to see if I might be ready to compete at NHC in 2021. COVID cancelled those plans, and it seems that still the local competitions have either been cancelled or scaled way back.

Not entering for a variety of reasons and probably not going to what they now call "HomebrewCon" either, even though its driving distance. However, I'll probably send in my $ for AHA membership.

I have a handful of entries this year. Will decide on specifics later based on what tastes the best. Have had several regional winners and one final medal over the years. I was actively involved in the trenches in NHC regional rounds for a few years and miss that approach. But time moves on and things change.
Shipping is going to $uck this year.

Making a final run for medals one last time this year. I am competitive… not so much that I wish other brewers bad luck, but I like to push myself to get better results in big comps.

Have not been able to enter since 2018 due to life circumstances. I am kinda “over” competition brewing and just want to brew for fun, and maybe help other brewers get better via being a good judge and local club activities.

Looking forward to judging at NHC and HomebrewCon festivities.

I literally flamed-out a potential entry today and went in the house to register 5 mins later. And my gut feeling was “Ok, I’m good with whatever happens this year and have nothing left to prove”

Last edited:
I put in 4 entries but I'm still trying to figure out why I'm shipping beer to Colorado to be judged in Pennsylvania. The shipping and entry costs definitely are getting a bit out of hand for what you get outta it. Probably last time for me as well.

Yeah, the NHC has been mostly a competition to compete for medals for a long time. At least with the regional structure there were a lot more people that placed. You could at least brag about getting a 2nd place in a regional, vs now where now only the top 3 out of a pool of 150 get any recognition.

Anybody know if they changed their mind about not giving scores? I know that scores are not a perfect way to evaluate the quality of an entry, but at least is is one measure. Taking the time to give each contestant a score just seems like such a basic requirement of a competition, and NHC costs 3x what most competitions cost.
I would assume that the link I mentioned in #5 has current information. Changes to that information are likely to appear initially in forums where the competition staff is active.

I'm entering this year for the first time. I am making a Czech Pilsner.

How are the beers judged? I am going to try to make the Pilsner as close as I can to an original Czech as I possibly can.

Do they look for that or originality? OR something no one has done before?

No, they are going to be looking for a well executed example that meets as many of the descriptions of the style: Beer Judge Certification Program

With the way that competitions work...pallet fatigue, small samples, comparing against multiple entries...often times examples that stand out a little will have a better chance. In a category like Czech Pilsner that is well known and well defined, the judges will probably be looking for the subtle characters from quality German/Czech Pils, and traditional German hops.

I entered 3 before I realized they are charging $29 per entry and require 6 bottles shipped per entry...wishing I had only done 2 now. oh wells

I'm entering this year for the first time. I am making a Czech Pilsner.

How are the beers judged? I am going to try to make the Pilsner as close as I can to an original Czech as I possibly can.

Last year, with the new one comp no regional format, it was all about judges getting through flights as fast as possible, feedback was hit or miss as they were the goal was to just get top 3 beers from each table to move on to next round. There was no scoring system. Then the top 3 from each table in a category (not a style) but whatever category the group of styles is moved to 2d round where judges do a non-comment, non-scoring best of show type judging, where they just pick the best 6-12 beers to move to 3rd and final round, the medal round...then a new set of judges again just eliminate beers one by one until they have the three medal winners. This year will pretty much be the same, but hopefully more feedback from first round judges...and your sheets will list 1/3 rounds, 2/3, 3/3 depending on how far it goes.

Was not going to enter this year, but wound up registering three.. Last 4 years, well last 3 NHC's since once was canceled, I have had one or more beers make final round and then medal round only to not medal, so figured maybe this would be my year. :rolleyes:

I brewed my last entry yesterday. Does anybody know if entries need to be received by 6/3 or postmarked by that date?

I brewed my last entry yesterday. Does anybody know if entries need to be received by 6/3 or postmarked by that date?
Personally, I would plan on getting the beer there within this timeframe:

1652300206600.png

See this page (link) for the overall timeline.

Personally, I would plan on getting the beer there within this timeframe:

View attachment 768555
See this page (link) for the overall timeline.

That's what I was thinking but I know some competitions allow entries that are postmarked with their deadlines since everyone will be shipping from different locations with different shipping companies.

Must be rec’d by 6/3. And note that the rules state bottle labels must be TAPED on each bottle which is not the norm with most comps. I did 3 double-takes when I read that. :oops:

I have entered NHBC for the first time this year. I registered two entries, so looks like I have to ship 12 bottles total. I've never shipped to a competition before. They state not to use USPS so I guess that leaves UPS or FedEx. Anyone have any experience using either to ship to a competition? Any tips for how to pack?

I have entered NHBC for the first time this year. I registered two entries, so looks like I have to ship 12 bottles total. I've never shipped to a competition before. They state not to use USPS so I guess that leaves UPS or FedEx. Anyone have any experience using either to ship to a competition? Any tips for how to pack?

I use UPS and have them pickup at my house for 10 bucks. Well worth it. There are some good threads on packing on the forums too. Look for pianoman's method.

I just did a quick search looking for pianoman's method and didn't find it yet... I will keep looking. If anyone knows where it is could you link it or point me in the right direction?

Here's some helpful ones

For reference: In 2012, @biochemedic posted some (admittedly perhaps overkill) instructions for packaging a 12 oz longneck for shipping, and also a post with some common box sizes that work well for shipping 3 wrapped/bagged longnecks.

@Pianoman method below

Grab a chair and open a beer. Packing 101....

- place a large thick garbage bag inside box.
- Tape bottle caps to limit leaking.
- Vacuum seal all items.
- Use Home Depot Extra Strong Small size boxes.
- use small bubble wrap around all items.
- for bottles, along with bubble wrap, cut a thin piece of cardboard for between bottles.
- Layer each level, usually can get 3 levels with the boxes, by cutting a piece of carboard the size of the box and use large bubblewrap to creat a new "floor".
- tie plastic bag then layer more bubble wrap so when pressing on top, it pops nack a little.
- tape the edges then tape the fucck out of it. View attachment 585782 View attachment 585784

I should've patented that method! 😁

I know most use ziplock bags instead of vacuum packing. I will say this, shipping in the summer months is a dice roll. If a box is exposed to high heat, that WILL burst bottles. So safer is better IMHO.

Latest posts

Back