Newby Question - how long in the FV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poynton Blue

Reaction score
Hi folks, starting my fourth brew on Sunday (my take on an extract, steep and big hop NEIPA).

I know that most of the primary fermentation will be done within the week, but I want to dry hop (circa day 5 or when the hydrometer steadies our), but I’m not then in a position to get to the FV for 14 days.

Given most of the dry hop aroma benefit is gained over 48-72h, would I be better to:

a) leave the brew until I can “mother” it for the full 3 weeks?
b) leave the brew alone in the primary fermentation for 3 weeks, then dry hop for 48-72h?
c)dry hop at Day 5’ish, and let it risk the grassiness of a 14d dry hop, before bottling?

Advice appreciated!

For a NEIPA it's not uncommon to dry hop during active fermentation, so if you can do that at day 3 even then it'll be good to package when you get home. I don't think two weeks is too long (but someone will be along shortly to contradict me, because thats how we roll at HBT)

Just out of curiosity, as I'm not familiar with these terms...

FV.....is that fermentation vessel? We usually call it just a fermenter.

And what does "mother" mean in this context? : "leave the brew until I can “mother” it for the full 3 weeks?"

Never hear that before.

Just out of curiosity, as I'm not familiar with these terms...

FV.....is that fermentation vessel? We usually call it just a fermenter.

And what does "mother" mean in this context? : "leave the brew until I can “mother” it for the full 3 weeks?"

Never hear that before.

Yep FV, fermentation vessel - I use shorthand FV1 & FV2, as primary & secondary fermentater.

And to “mother” something, may be a Manchester (UK) expression meaning to look after, to tend to. [emoji6]

Yep FV, fermentation vessel - I use shorthand FV1 & FV2, as primary & secondary fermentater.

And to “mother” something, may be a Manchester (UK) expression meaning to look after, to tend to. [emoji6]

If I had a beer that would be 3 weeks in the fermenter (nothing wrong with that unless you've left dry hops in there the whole time), I wouldn't be "mothering" it--I'd be leaving it alone. :)

Kind of the antithesis of mothering. :)

Back