Newbie from Wales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sog097

Reaction score
Hi all, been reading about and meaning to start brewing for years and finally got round to starting, so got three all grain ales and stouts done last weekend.
They were lively in the fementor and had fully fermented in 4 days, which I was surprised about.
Just giving them a bit longer as I read about secondary fermentation?
Then going to cold crash and rack to the kegs.

Welcome to the hobby!

Don't be fooled by the term secondary fermentation that doesn't mean anything. There's one fermentation with several steps. Once fermentation is complete there's only conditioning and off gassing etc that remains. Many beers benefit from bulk conditioning and that is probably why you see fermentation lengths go beyond 2 weeks (for ales).

Unless you add in fermentables (like sugar) larer then maybe fermentation will start up again, but still a misnomer to call it secondary fermentation.

Welcome to the hobby!

Don't be fooled by the term secondary fermentation that doesn't mean anything. There's one fermentation with several steps. Once fermentation is complete there's only conditioning and off gassing etc that remains. Many beers benefit from bulk conditioning and that is probably why you see fermentation lengths go beyond 2 weeks (for ales).

Unless you add in fermentables (like sugar) larer then maybe fermentation will start up again, but still a misnomer to call it secondary fermentation.

Thanks, I was getting confused with all the new lingo, so from what you said above it is optimistic to think I will be drinking this ale/stout two weeks after brewing, even with cories/force carbing etc or can I keg and then let it rest further before drinking?

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from Colorado :mug:

once it is done fermenting, keg. Once carbonated, it’s drinkable. Some styles are batter with a little age. Keep brewing, get a pipeline going.

Welcome to the hobby, and to this forum.

2 weeks is aggressive, but I understand you just started brewing and you want to drink it, no shame in that.

Welcome to the hobby, and to this forum.

2 weeks is aggressive, but I understand you just started brewing and you want to drink it, no shame in that.
Yes your right there, but there is a little more to it especially this year, a friend has gone all out to help me with something and won't accept any money, so this is a small way to give something back before Christmas and with all the lock downs round here I can't take him to the pub, but if it's going to ruin it I will leave it and buy him some beers.

Thanks, I was getting confused with all the new lingo, so from what you said above it is optimistic to think I will be drinking this ale/stout two weeks after brewing, even with cories/force carbing etc or can I keg and then let it rest further before drinking?
Two weeks in the fermenter is usually just fine. What's the expected abv?

Usually it needs another week or two (under pressure) in the keg before it reaches its peak, but it'll be drinkable before that.

If you're giving it away are you bottling from the keg? Or how do you plan to get this beer to your friend?

The three Abv's are 3.2 (first one various cock ups expected 4.4) second one is 5.2 and the third is expected to finish at 5.7.
Two of these are stouts and one mild, would I need a stout spout or an adapter or alter the gas pressure to dispense from cornies?

Plan was to have a drink at mine one evening and bottle / mini keg some as well after carbonation in the keg.

Those abvs should be just fine for a two week fermentation.

As for the stout, some homebrewers like to pour on fancy taps that have nitro or something, but definitely not necessary. You can put it on co2 and tap it just like any other ale and it'll be fine.

I hope they turn out well for you and your friends.

Those abvs should be just fine for a two week fermentation.

As for the stout, some homebrewers like to pour on fancy taps that have nitro or something, but definitely not necessary. You can put it on co2 and tap it just like any other ale and it'll be fine.

I hope they turn out well for you and your friends.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated and everyone else who said Hi and offered help :)

Yes your right there, but there is a little more to it especially this year, a friend has gone all out to help me with something and won't accept any money, so this is a small way to give something back before Christmas and with all the lock downs round here I can't take him to the pub, but if it's going to ruin it I will leave it and buy him some beers.
It won't be ruined by any means.

Back