Newbie attempt at a ginger beer recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
Playing around with BeerSmith today trying to make a ginger beer. What do ya think?

I figure on peeling the ginger, 60 minute mash, 30 minute boil, S-04. Depending on taste, I’m considering leaving the ginger in the primary... or would that be bad?

Goal is to have a strong ginger spice flavor backed with smooth but lightly sweet mouthfeel.

Trying to keep semi traditional.

D5F1BE05-11C3-4509-9582-68B1A211DE79.jpeg

I haven't done a ginger beer yet, but I love my ginger soda recipe. I use 2.5 pounds of un-peeled ginger and it is very strong so that part of your recipe is in the ballpark.

I give my ginger a hard scrub with a nylon brush, slice into large-ish coins, and give them a quick spin in the blender with hot water (you could use wort).

I haven't done a ginger beer yet, but I love my ginger soda recipe. I use 2.5 pounds of un-peeled ginger and it is very strong so that part of your recipe is in the ballpark.

I give my ginger a hard scrub with a nylon brush, slice into large-ish coins, and give them a quick spin in the blender with hot water (you could use wort).

Interesting! One experienced brewer I know said to peel otherwise it might come out bitter.

If I add it into primary for a couple of weeks I was thinking peeled, or mostly peeled to get the spice without being too bitter.

This will be my first ginger beer. Thinking about lessening the grains to bring the ABV down. I’d rather have it closer to a session beer. Summer drink.

It could be that boiling brings out the bitterness as my recipe never goes over 180F.
I wouldn't want to test that theory on a full 5 gallons but it would be nice to know what kind of IBU's we are talking about.

Maybe I could add the peels the last 5 minutes, instead of campden and let it ride in primary.

Playing around with BeerSmith today trying to make a ginger beer. What do ya think?

I figure on peeling the ginger, 60 minute mash, 30 minute boil, S-04. Depending on taste, I’m considering leaving the ginger in the primary... or would that be bad?

Goal is to have a strong ginger spice flavor backed with smooth but lightly sweet mouthfeel.

Trying to keep semi traditional.

View attachment 626628

Perhaps it is only me, but that seems like an awful lot of ginger. Last Fall I grated 2 tsp of ginger and added it to my priming solution. I poured the solution into a French Press and kept it there for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes I added the priming solution to my 5 gallon bottling bucket. Granted, I also used vanilla beans and sweet orange peel in the French Press as well.

You definitely could taste the ginger over the vanilla and sweet orange. Clients and friends loved it.

I imagine grating the ginger would give a more ginger taste as opposed to just peeling it.

Good luck and report back how it turns out!

I was planning on sending it through the food processor after peeling, a fairly rough chop. Enough to keep it in a bag.

I’m a big fan of Vernon’s and crabbies, but feel like they could use a bit more ginger zing.

As I’m thinking about it, I’ll probably reduce the grains by a pound each. I don’t want to have a high ABV.

I based my recipe off this thread. There is a lot of information in there about ginger. I can also tell you that neither of my kids will drink my ginger ale because of the way it burns the back of the throat. That burn is supposed to be reduced by boiling though (which is why I only go to 180F).

Back