New Here and looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i'm looking to make another batch sometime soon and want to flavor it a bit with like a honey any advise?

There are plenty of flavors out there to choose from. I suggest picking up a good book on brewing, like Radical Brewing, or Designing Great Beers. You can add honey flavor with Honey Malt, or you can add Honey itself. It takes a bit of honey to give the flavor. Usually honey ferments out completely and leaves a small amount of flavor. It can contribute to the alcohol content, so you need to keep that in mind when deciding how much to use.

I think if I were to brew a honey beer again I'd try using both honey and honey malt.

Maybe look up how many gravity points honey contributes per pound and then convert to ABV and decide how much honey in relation to the grain you are going to use. If you are shooting for a higher alcohol beer, it's easier to use more honey and get some of that flavor. So maybe shoot for a 7-9% ABV beer and use honey for a good portion of that.

There are a lot of variables to consider like what other malts to use to balance the body and flavor.

Latest posts

Back