new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FadeToBeer

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new to home brew. I reside in NH where we have a pretty good amount of craft breweries within a 30min-1hr drive . I've been a beer drinker for 20 years and now its time to take the next step. I don't have any friends locally that home brew so I wanted to sign up here in case I ran into any issues along the way. Currently waiting for the items I purchased on black friday . Everything I ordered has shipped and should be to my door this week.
:mug:
FTB

I'm new to the forum and new to home brew. I reside in NH where we have a pretty good amount of craft breweries within a 30min-1hr drive . I've been a beer drinker for 20 years and now its time to take the next step. I don't have any friends locally that home brew so I wanted to sign up here in case I ran into any issues along the way. Currently waiting for the items I purchased on black friday . Everything I ordered has shipped and should be to my door this week.
:mug:
FTB

Welcome to HBT from Northern California! [emoji482]
Lots of good info here.

welcome aboard, new to the forum myself. just south of ya in CT.
what did you order? extract or all grain?
warning once you brew your first batch and drink it you will be hooked.
cheers

Welcome to the forum.
I too knew no one who brewed and came here with all sorts of questions. Whether you are a noob who can barely boil water to an experienced brewer there is always something to learn and someone with an answer to your questions.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

what did you order? extract or all grain?

I chose hanks hefeweizen extract kit with a brewing kit I purchased. I also purchased a Private rye brown ale extract kit. I will run them side by side , one in a bucket and the other in the Anvil fermentor .

Welcome! Best hobby in the world!

If you haven't watched someone do it on youtube that is a huge help.

I boiled over my first time and had to use a razor blade to get the malten lava catastrophe off my glass stovetop.

Never again!

Thank you Cyclman,AkTom and Stand !

@Stand I think for the first couple boils Im going to keep it off my stove and do the boil inside my garage . I have a turkey fryer burner that should work . Any disadvantages other than having to carry it inside after boiling ? sanitary (my garage isn't as clean as the kitchen) ?

I brew in my garage and so far so good. kitchens can harbor bacteria too. remember to sanitize everything and if your not sure sanitize it anyway. Hefeweizen's are one of my favorites
cheers

Thank you Cyclman,AkTom and Stand !

@Stand I think for the first couple boils Im going to keep it off my stove and do the boil inside my garage . I have a turkey fryer burner that should work . Any disadvantages other than having to carry it inside after boiling ? sanitary (my garage isn't as clean as the kitchen) ?

I doubt there is a significant difference between the two in terms of sanitation. Hot-break can still be a PITA even in the garage. I think I boil over about every 4th batch because I'm running around like an idiot.

I am probably stating the obvious, but just make sure you star-san everything on the cold-side. You'll be fine, and you're making beer! Hooray beer!

IMG_20191206_154903200.jpg
Did my first boil yesterday. Everything seemed pretty straight forward after watching some videos and reading through the included instructions (Hanks hefeweizen extract kit ) . After attaching the airlock it started to bubble fairly quick. Last night the airlock was 3/4 full on one side . This morning there is much less liquid in the airlock. Anything to worry about ? Should I be adding diluted starsan as the airlock fluid gets lower ? Is this due to my RH only being around 30% (evaporation)?
IMG_20191207_084707787.jpg

Back