New from California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, been drinking beer for many years thought i'd try my hand at brewing. Been reading a lot here to this point and learning much!

I got my first ~Mr. Beer kit, back in ~1996 in Mendo around all the pot growers! lol been brewing 10 gallon batches once a week since 2004 now!

Welcome! :D

seasonal employee, huh...lol
Only a season or two then I moved up the ladder rather quickly, and had a crew of my own. It was a long ride, but now I'm off that trail. Back to drilling holes and filling them with wire, and fixing the shoddy work of the electrician (or more likely the handyman-home owner) before me.

Making cider isn't all that different from growing pot. Its funny how it feels the same, you know, mixing things, keeping temps on point and dialed in, adjusting elements for taste, aging...Then there's the notion of cloning (replicating someone else's beer, wine whatever), a veg period (primary), flowering (secondary perhaps), drying and curing (aging), then packaging (bottling and kegging). Then there's the home brewer that brews or makes small batches often shooting for that special batch that suits their unique taste (the mom and pop grower), and the commercial brewers or makers that shoot for a consistent taste that appeals to the mass consumer market (the big farms just doing the name brands, though that has changed a lot lately). Not that different, and you get a buzz from the final product

Only a season or two then I moved up the ladder rather quickly, and had a crew of my own. It was a long ride, but now I'm off that trail. Back to drilling holes and filling them with wire, and fixing the shoddy work of the electrician (or more likely the handyman-home owner) before me.

Making cider isn't all that different from growing pot. Its funny how it feels the same, you know, mixing things, keeping temps on point and dialed in, adjusting elements for taste, aging...Then there's the notion of cloning (replicating someone else's beer, wine whatever), a veg period (primary), flowering (secondary perhaps), drying and curing (aging), then packaging (bottling and kegging). Then there's the home brewer that brews or makes small batches often shooting for that special batch that suits their unique taste (the mom and pop grower), and the commercial brewers or makers that shoot for a consistent taste that appeals to the mass consumer market (the big farms just doing the name brands, though that has changed a lot lately). Not that different, and you get a buzz from the final product

Not quite the same, yeast reproduce asexually, and you don't have to worry about girls growing balls....imagine having to sex and check for herms on a billion yeast cells!

Not quite the same, yeast reproduce asexually, and you don't have to worry about girls growing balls....imagine having to sex and check for herms on a billion yeast cells!
Ok, you got me on that one haha. Yeah, that would be a disaster! Btw, I heard that scientists have developed a yeast strain that produces THC, and it might supersede growing the actual plant for the compound... I was putting a subpanel and some some new circuits in a cannabis tea making facility in Oakland a few days ago, and one of the lab technicians told me this weird news. So I guess it might almost be exactly the same pretty soon :confused:
https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-engineer-yeast-to-produce-active-marijuana-compound-thc

I realize I've derailed the whole damn topic again! :off:

yeast, kinda like a trainable pet....lol

edit: kinda like how we got pet dogs out of wolves....we'll have all kinds of different yeast here soon enough! :D
Just like apples too. Been geeking out on the history of apples and like almost everything, they too [most likely] came from China!

i thought apple came from one of the stans...kakastan or something like that....i know something came from the stans....lol

I don't know of a club. Not sure how motivated I am to club either. But I do know of a Nor-cal twice annual private homebrew group camping trip.

Also in the 916. Middle of Sacramento.

Any good clubs out here? I go the Brewmesiter in West Sac for yeast and misc. items- i should ask there.

There is the Gold Country Brewers Association in Sac and Placer Unlimited Brewing Society that meets in Rocklin/ Roseville.

Brewmeister also has a Homebrew store in Folsom.

Sometimes Yolo Brewing in West Sac offers a brew day for Homebrewers every few months.

[emoji482]

There is the Gold Country Brewers Association in Sac and Placer Unlimited Brewing Society that meets in Rocklin/ Roseville.

Brewmeister also has a Homebrew store in Folsom.

Sometimes Yolo Brewing in West Sac offers a brew day for Homebrewers every few months.

[emoji482]
Thanks!
Any group buys ever occur out here?
I read those threads and drool over the prices... and without shipping!! Oh and it's probably a lot fresher than what's been sitting on the lhbs or big web store shelf's!

Back