new experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curasi

Reaction score
hi, so im new to home brewing i just started yesterday , i used 15 liters of whater 10 pounds of non pastorized honey and about 2 whole pinapples, so today i cheked and i saw some bubling and some residue on the bottom on top of all the honey , just whanted to ask is this normal btw all the honey is on the bottom, and i dident add any yeast.

What do you expect to get without using yeast? Are you doing this as an open fermentation in hopes that it will ferment?

Or maybe some wild yeast on the pineapple skins?
Fun fact: bromeliads have a protein reducing enzyme that will totally kill any hope of head, never mind retention of same...

Cheers!

What do you expect to get without using yeast? Are you doing this as an open fermentation in hopes that it will ferment?
i began fermentation with the honey and pinapple, and i was doing it in the way that the yeast in the honey makes the fermentation, today is day 15 and most of the honey on the bottom is almost consumed i got some residue and its bubling stedy il post a picture, this is after 15 days

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_140351.jpg
    IMG_20200711_140351.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200711_140402.jpg
    IMG_20200711_140402.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
hi, so im new to home brewing i just started yesterday , i used 15 liters of whater 10 pounds of non pastorized honey and about 2 whole pinapples, so today i cheked and i saw some bubling and some residue on the bottom on top of all the honey , just whanted to ask is this normal btw all the honey is on the bottom, and i dident add any yeast.
so here is the first day

Attachments

• IMG-20200628-WA0071.jpeg
    IMG-20200628-WA0071.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 13
i'd guess hoping for the non pasteurized honey to have enough yeast in it....but you should stir it up.....
thats what i was whanting it to do , yeast in the honey , ive been looking online all the time and thats a way o how to do it, im totally a noob at this i just started with this batch and im here seeking for help in the comments couse i do whant to learn on how to brew better

do you think is going well by the looks on the picture?
i mean in 15 days the honey is almost consumed all , residue on the bottom and its clearing out, should i wait until a month to rack it into another containeror leave it be like that?

If you ask most people, they would say that it would probably have been a waste of 10 lbs of honey. The best advice u will get is to do smaller batches as a test. That way u dont end up with 5 gal of something undrinkable. U can use a smaller batch to make a larger batch if it turns put well. (Like a starter.)

Have u tasted it? It would be interesting to see how it turned out.

If you ask most people, they would say that it would probably have been a waste of 10 lbs of honey. The best advice u will get is to do smaller batches as a test. That way u dont end up with 5 gal of something undrinkable. U can use a smaller batch to make a larger batch if it turns put well. (Like a starter.)

me and mi dad tested it last year on a galon batch with no yeast only honey and pinapple and it tunred to be really good so this is mi second try even do is mi first try solo

Truth

It seems like its still fermenting, leave it be.

Just to be clear, Pappers is definitely right. Ride it out, if it doesnt taste good now, it could be better later. U can always add a camden tablet and back sweeten. Start planning ur next batch. Take notes. Maybe ur wild yeast/bacteria will be good enough to sell to white labs.

Just to be clear, Pappers is definitely right. Ride it out, if it doesnt taste good now, it could be better later. U can always add a camden tablet and back sweeten. Start planning ur next batch. Take notes. Maybe ur wild yeast/bacteria will be good enough to sell to white labs.
ok im alreaddy planing another batch this time of apples, and dependiong on if the wild yeast in the honey works il use it again or buy some wine yeast.

Last edited:
I read an experiment in brew your own. Make four or five 1L batches and leave them all open, just cover them in cheese clothe or something to keep literal bugs out but not wild yeast or bacteria. After a week taste all four. The best tasting one pitch into 5 gallons. U can also just pitch Brett if u are looking for that funky taste knowing that u are going to get good results. The article also says 100% brett yeast makes for a cleaner beer.

https://byo.com/article/all-about-brett/

opk so i raked it today after 2 months and i tasted it and tastes a bit sour i cant tell if it gone bad its not sweet at all its a bit acid. its like a beer but has the pinapple taste and sour taste to it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back