scotch suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: Went skiing last week, decided to bring a flask of Glenlivet 12 with me. Nothing fancy, just a good average single malt to keep me company. Drank it on the chairlifts, in the gondolas, shared with strangers, and also put some in a glass a few times to enjoy on the couch.

Well, I'm in love with scotch now. Still can't justify spending the $$$ on the more expensive ones, but my starter collection is growing. Bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban at the duty free yesterday, gonna crack it tonight. Also have the Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve that I have yet to try.

My next one, I'd like to grab something with that earthy smell to it (peaty?). Can that be had for relatively low cost, or is it something unique to the pricier brands? Still a newb... but at least a newb who likes scotch.

The Islay (pronounced eye-la) region is best known for its peaty Scotch. Lagavulin and Laphroaig are two of the more well-known ones, but they are fairly pricey. You could try a Bowmore 12 or Ardbeg for a decent price.

Update: Went skiing last week, decided to bring a flask of Glenlivet 12 with me. Nothing fancy, just a good average single malt to keep me company. Drank it on the chairlifts, in the gondolas, shared with strangers, and also put some in a glass a few times to enjoy on the couch.

Well, I'm in love with scotch now. Still can't justify spending the $$$ on the more expensive ones, but my starter collection is growing. Bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban at the duty free yesterday, gonna crack it tonight. Also have the Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve that I have yet to try.

My next one, I'd like to grab something with that earthy smell to it (peaty?). Can that be had for relatively low cost, or is it something unique to the pricier brands? Still a newb... but at least a newb who likes scotch.

I love the quinta ruben myself and I don't like really peaty scotches. (Laphroig is over the top to me.) Abelour a'bunadah (sp?) is going to be y next purchase though. I think it will probably start being my go to if it doesn't break the bank.

Just picked up Widmer Brothers McCarthey's single malt whiskey that is supposed to be comparable to an Islay. Its pretty smooth, but not as smooth as a good 15 year but deceptive for its 3 years of age. It is actually a really good whiskey worth trying, I just don't know how the hell they justify the $60 (Bevmo) price tag for a 3 year old. While comparable to the price range there just isn't $60 value in something that is 3 years old, if it was priced at $35 it would be a go to for my whiskey collection.

Thanks man. I know that Crown and Scotch don't taste the same. I guess I was just trying to say that's all I really drink outside of beer at this point. I don't have any friends that drink Scotch and only a few that drink beer that isn't BMC. You guys are always a good source of ideas.
Ballentines is a very light scotch. Good stuff if you like Crown.

Highland park 12 is one of my favorites. Not over the top smoke like Laphroig, but well balanced smoke and caramel flavors. For me, its just right.

The Islay (pronounced eye-la) region is best known for its peaty Scotch. Lagavulin and Laphroaig are two of the more well-known ones, but they are fairly pricey. You could try a Bowmore 12 or Ardbeg for a decent price.

This. Don't think I've had Bowmore, and Ardbeg is decent. But definitely Laphroaig and Lagavulin are fantastic.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is my go-to. Definitely more than a Glenlivet 12, but still not outrageous.

Abelour a'bunadah (sp?) is going to be my next purchase though. I think it will probably start being my go to if it doesn't break the bank.

^^^ This. Oh yes this.

'Tis my favourite drop. Ever more than Auchentoshan 3 Wood (and that's saying something!)

This. Don't think I've had Bowmore, and Ardbeg is decent. But definitely Laphroaig and Lagavulin are fantastic.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is my go-to. Definitely more than a Glenlivet 12, but still not outrageous.

I just saw a Lagavulin 12 year bottling but for somewhere around the $90 range I couldn't justify it as I could only imagine it would be pretty similar to the Laphroaig quarter cask or 10 year. May as well spend $20 less and get the Lag 16 instead.

Highland Park 18, Macallan 12, Balvenie (doublewood) 12. That's pretty much all I drink!

Nothin' like Highland Park 18.

250775_10151742315137178_248809437_n.jpg

Highland Park 18, Macallan 12, Balvenie (doublewood) 12. That's pretty much all I drink!

Balvenie double is really good. I actually like the Macallan 10 better than 12. For me, the Balvenie plays better with the sherry barrel. HP 12 is awesome so I guess i'll pony up for the 18 sometime soon. I drink a bottle too quick to justify paying that much for it. If only I could show restraint.

You guys are hilarious. :D

Highland Park is my favorite 18-year and Balvenie 12 is damn good. I used to love Macallan 12 until I tried Balvenie 12 doublewood. I find the Balvenie a bit smoother than the Macallan.

I have to say, when I started this thread I never imagined it would get this kind of play. There are tons of suggestions on here, and I think I'd have to get a second job to pay for them all. hahaha

So far, I have had the JW Black, which I bought a bottle of, and I also drank some glenfiddich 15.

I am so new to this, I can't give much detail about the two except that I can taste a difference and that I enjoyed both of them. I can say that I have tried the JW Black a few different ways, with ice, neat and with a little cold water left in the glass from rinsing it out. I see a difference in the aroma when it's mixed with water. I'm not sure that the flavor changes much with a minimal amount of water though.

I'm happy to report that I do enjoy Scotch and I love the warming feeling it gives. I'll be looking forward to trying some other brands and ages. I'm also interested in trying some of the more smokey/peaty brands mentioned in the thread.

Thanks for all the input ya'll.

Having some Balvenie 15 Single Barrel. Tried the "fill the glass with warm water, dump and add scotch" method brought up halfway back in the thread. Gotta say, it works well. I usually do a few drops of cold water, and it's a similar effect but I can't say for sure which I prefer without doing it side by side. Great suggestion regardless.

Bought some Balvenie 14 Caribbean barrel after hearing about the brand here. Okay, that's some good Scotch. Smooth as can be and great flavor. Of course, my wallet is still reeling from the price tag. Ouch!!

Bought some Balvenie 14 Caribbean barrel after hearing about the brand here. Okay, that's some good Scotch. Smooth as can be and great flavor. Of course, my wallet is still reeling from the price tag. Ouch!!

I like it better than the 15. So tasty.

I am thinking I'd like to diversify my experiences with liquor. I drink mostly beer, and occasionally some crown. I want to try some scotch, but have no clue where to start. Anyone want to suggest a quality, affordable scotch to start out with?

Glendronach 15 isn't bad, if you can afford it... :drunk:

Just opened a bottle of Glenlivet 18. Damn this is good. My favourite so far I think. But they are all my favourite!

Back