Yeast Slurry Starter- How many jars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
So I washed yeast for the first time on Sunday (WLP090).

-I plan on making a big IPA on Friday (1.075-1.085 range). Doing a starter today with my washed yeast.

-How big a starter? and how many jars should I use? Not sure how to calculate cell count in these jars.

2013-04-24_15-20-32_878.jpg

looks like you have a pretty thick slurry on the left there. I personnally would probly just pitch that straight, maybe do a small 1L starter to get it awake and make sure cells are viable.

That's a lot of yeast there. I usually do a 600ml starter at 1.040 for ~ 1/2" yeast cake in 12 oz brown beer bottle for 3.5 gal wort OG 1.075+. For less wort OG then 400ml is plenty since the point is to confirm the yeasties are active and ready to hit the wort chewing. :)

The jar on the right looks like close to having a 1/2 inch thick yeast cake.

So I washed yeast for the first time on Sunday (WLP090).

-I plan on making a big IPA on Friday (1.075-1.085 range). Doing a starter today with my washed yeast.

-How big a starter? and how many jars should I use? Not sure how to calculate cell count in these jars.

My understanding is that yeast multiplies 4x during fermentation so it kind of depends on how much you originally pitched and how many jars you washed it into. If you have followed most guides and washed your slurry into 4 mason jars, I would make a 2L aerated (shake or stir plate) starter with one of those jars. ymmv.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

My understanding is that yeast multiplies 4x during fermentation so it kind of depends on how much you originally pitched and how many jars you washed it into. If you have followed most guides and washed your slurry into 4 mason jars, I would make a 2L aerated (shake or stir plate) starter with one of those jars. ymmv.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

That mrmalty.com calculator has a "yeast slurry" repitching calculator- I use it all the time. I don't make a starter for yeast that I've saved very short term, and just use the correct amount. Normally, one 1/2 pint jar (thick yeast) is about right for a 1.060ish 10 gallon batch. But mrmalty.com gives you the exact amount needed, based on the day the yeast was harvesting and the OG of the beer you're making. I love using that!

I was told estimate 60 billion cells for 25 ml. It truly is a good question. I used 100 ml and half liter starter. Seemed to ferment out very well. I'm in day 4 and after a mean airlock session she seems finished up now gonna check sg in a couple days to make sure I hit fg. But would love to know how many cells were actually being pitched

Latest posts

Back