Game of Thrones Season Three

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
Hey folks, I seem to remember a GoT thread floating around last year but haven't seen it pop up. Or maybe I'm just missing it (which if is the case kindly point me in the right direction).

Just thought I'd post this to get some thoughts, comments and concerns from the shows viewers and book readers as well. Let's have two rules:

First Rule of GoT Thread: Keep it free of plot spoilers from the book. Yes I know, I really want to discuss the end of book three and five but that's another thread if need be. Or a private message?

Second Rule of GoT Thread: Let's assume everyone reading this is up to date on the show. If you're not we are not responsible for ruining what happened to Ned or Drogo or Jamie.

I'll go first. I mostly made this post because I cannot contain myself after last night episode. The season started a bit slow in the first two episodes although I thought each was well done and good in it's own way but the last two have just been terrific. So far so good in my opinion.

Highlights for me thus far:
Barriston back in action for Dany
Jamie and Bri, there dynamic on screen is terrific.
Any scene with Tyrion and his father.
Any scene with Joffrey. Just such a ******... Never have a wanted to slap a TV character so much.
Dany at Astapor. Her sacking the city was even better than I thought and the High Valyrian was awesome. It was a bit overdone with the explosions making it look like Drogon was fire bombing Vietnam but it was still pretty freaking cool.

Things I could do without or are moving slowly:
Too much Ros.
Too much Theon. Although his story arc is interesting I think they could slow it down.
Bran and Arya are each a bit slow although getting good.

The actor who is playing the Spider is doing an immaculate job.

House Tyrell is being stunningly portrayed, with the possible exception of Loras, who looks a little too pretty to be a jousting champion. Whomever costumes Margery need only put the word "Margery" on his resume and get any costume job in hollywood.

The ex-slave... I forget the character's name... in Astapor. Sweet Onion Chutney.

Berric is utterly and completely believable as the Lightening Lord (whomever cast him should get a prize).

Agreed, the Tyrells are great, especially the Queen of Thrones. She's becoming my new favorite player in the game. Varys however has always been one of my favorite players, just kinda hanging out, doing what he does, plotting his time. You want to dislike him and then you think you can see the angle he's coming from. Their initial encounter was one of the strongest in the show.

Was really hoping for some more action with Berric this episode but then again I guess the ending with Dany was good enough so we'll have to wait on that one. Gotta spread out the awesomeness right?

IMO this has been the best episode this season. Although I was expecting more of The Old Bear given the episode title.

I am loving the Theon arc right now. The evil look on "boy's" face as he sparked the torch, awesome.

I'm actually a little bored with Tyrion this season, wishing we had more of his scheming and mind games.

Not really understanding all the Pod brothel talk, seems out of place and irrelevant.

I'd agree that Tyrion's storyline is lacking compared to last seasons but Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance (Tywin) just play together on screen so well that I think they are making up for the lack of action. Their scene in the first episode was great and the new Small Chamber table in the previous episode was terrific with the power play going on at the table.

Pod's storyline could have been cut and is a bit ridiculous. It was funny at first but is a joke that's going on too long IMO. Not that I care much about the changes they make, but I'm 99% sure was not in the book.

As for Theon, I like it, but being someone who has read the books am just confused as to where they are going with it because it's moving faster than everyone else's story arc.

I think the Tyrion's storyline is great. It is showing you how last season he had all this power but now he has none and is scrambling. I have read the first 4 books and I think the writer is just spreading this story out way to much. I'm not sure he is going to do any thing in the end. I never watched Lost but I have heard a lot about how bad the ending was and that's where I think this is going.

Not to get into it too much but book four was a bit rough to get through. All the new characters plus the loss of several characters and the other half missing in action until book five it was tough to adjust to. Anything would be slow after book three though. Five is the same way until the second half at which point things get pretty interesting ramping up for what seems to be a giant, action packed book six. I don't want to get too much into hypothetical endings (but if you want to PM me) but supposedly he has an ending in mind, has for a while and has in fact shared it with the show producers.

I just picked up the set of books on Amazon. $14 new. I'm not one for multiple characters & keeping them all straight, but the official website knows this & has put together a detailed organizational chart describing who belongs where.

Check it out!

I saw seasons 1 & 2 on Netflix over a period of 1 month. I used torrent for the 1st 4 episodes of season 3 in 1 night since I'm not rockin' the HBO. I saw The Sopranos & 24 the same way.

I like the Dragons & the Targaryens the most but the whole mix is great! There's even Zombies! :eek:

Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that none of the Night's Watch wear hats? Super cold and you are under thirty layers of cloak, but your bald head is exposed to the blistering cold...

I'm not one for multiple characters & keeping them all straight, but the official website knows this & has put together a detailed organizational chart describing who belongs where.

Glad you're getting into it. The books are great because they are broken up by individual characters which I think helped me keep everything straight. As for the link to the HBO website that's pretty good and handy but if you really want to start nerding it up (which I am guilty of) check out http://westeros.org/. There is a reading forum on there which splits the books up individually and a forum for the TV show and they are generally good about avoiding spoilers.

Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that none of the Night's Watch wear hats? Super cold and you are under thirty layers of cloak, but your bald head is exposed to the blistering cold...

Nope, not the only one, but how can you wear a hat with that much clowing black hair like john snow

Really looking forward to tonights episode. Last week was so good that I watched it 3 times. Never have done that before.

Best show on TV right now....hands down...not even close.

She's hot too!

It would be like climbing Mt. Everest. "I did it because it was there!" Just being around there has an element of excitement............................. you never know if she'll just kick your ass! :)

I'm kinda partial to bang, bang, shoot 'em ups..................... so my favorite is the dragons lighting stuff on fire, the soldiers looting & pillaging, zombies. I'm not a big fan of innuendo & intrigue.

So last nights episode was kinda a ho-hum.................. I thought I had it all figured out, saw it coming from a mile away...................... but I had No Idea things were going to happen as they did. :D Talk about a curve ball!

Holy Smokes! :drunk:

P.S. Brienne in a dress? I like her better in armor!

A knew this shvt was coming, but the Freys really piss me off!!! I keep thinking about how great of a job GRRM does both polarizing ones love and hate for the various characters...and then how he can flip it - really a great job.

Only a couple more years to the next book.

It's hard to keep back comments from all the non-readers "shocked" about the Red Wedding. If they had read the books they would have seen it heavily foreshadowed and coming. The series is entertaining, and I have up to Season 2, but it doesn't come close to covering the back stories and intricacies that the books do. How is the series going to explain R + L = J, when they have barely mentioned the Rebellion and it's events, and the books only foreshadow it? If you don't want to know what that is don't Google it.

Honestly in the books I totally was skimming through a late night binge reading session during Catelyn's final chapter and I didn't pick up on anything fishy about to happen the first time. I was a little out of it because I think I had plowed through 200 pages before so I wasn't really on my game so when that happened I needed to read it three times just to make sure I got it right. Holy ****balls! I stopped ready, stomped around the house for a little bit, swore off the book and then picked it up again and then BAM, they kill her too. Yeah, I stopped before that part so I needed to stomp around in anger a little while longer before picking it up again.

I thought the show pulled it off. It was a horrible feeling the entire episode knowing that it was coming. The silent end credits really put it over the edge too.

On a side note, there were some other cool developments in this episode. The brief sacking of the city was cool and Bran has finally developed into a character worth watching.

Oh yeah, Martin definitely foreshadowed it hard in the book with several characters having dreams/visions, including one that Daenerys has of a wedding full of dead guests headed by a dead man with a wolf's head and crown. Read up on the prophecies of Patchface, King Stannis' fool - they reveal a bit as well. Still, I was so pissed at the Red Wedding that I threw my book across the room in anger. It took a few days to pick it back up and keep going - and honestly that's a sign of great writing. In the book, Jeyne Westerling isn't killed (actually isn't even present) at the Red Wedding so there was a lot of speculation of an unborn heir for Robb but it looks like that has been taken care of by the producers. My hope for the HBO series is that it lights a fire under Martin's ass so that he gets the final two books published in a reasonable amount of time, and perhaps, perhaps writes a prequel or two on Robert's Rebellion or the Blackfyre pretenders.

Yeah, I'm sure GRRM was in on the decision to kill her off in the show because if he had different plans in the book that would screw everything up. He seems on board with most of the changes they are making because he has worked in TV before and understands casting and financing and whatnot.

As for the books I think they will get done. There is too much money with the show not for it to happen so long as he is healthy in his robust oldish age. I nerded out and watched a full panel discussion with him, the producers and majority of the actors/actresses a while back and one of the fan questions was who do you want to sit on the Iron Throne at the end. All the actors answered and it came to George and he couldn't answer because he said he already knows. It skips to the producers and they say the same thing so these conversations have taken place between the three of them. On a separate occasion he said that he's known the ending for a while, he just needs to get there. Things will get done, they have to or else I will be more heartbroken than after the RW.

**** this ****ing show. Hey here's a cool character, how's about I cut his head off. Oh wait another season in a half for some revenge? **** you I'll kill his family too. How do you like them apples?

XH0CoHU.gif

So I'm almost done with the 1st book. The TV show follows the book almost exactly. I would assume each season of the HBO series follows the books in order.

I was disappointed in the reviews I've seen so far on YouTube. I feel like I'm missing out on watching the TV 1st and then reading the books. I'm looking forward to getting into some fresh material.

Overall a good read. It's a fantasy series first and foremost. Too many others were giving it more credit than it is due. THAT disappointed me. Thank you guys for turning me on to this.

**SPOILER ALERTS**

The show follows the book pretty much spot on for Season 1 and then starts to diverge in Season 2 and 3. When Melisandre takes Gendry from the Brotherhood Without Banners in Season 3, it's a pretty big departure from the books where Gendry ends up an outlaw member with the Brotherhood Without Banners and is present when Brienne is captured by Lady Stoneheart. Another major departure was the character of Jeyne Westerling. In the series, Robb Stark marries Jeyne Westerling destroying his alliance with the Freys. Jeyne Westerling wasn't present at the Red Wedding and was instead turned over to the Lannisters, after being forced to abort her child, following the surrender of Riverrun. In Season 3, Robb Stark's wife is murdered at the Red Wedding. There was speculation that perhaps Jeyne was still secretly carrying Robb's child but that looks to have just been speculation. Also, Asha Greyjoy has only pity for Theon and doesn't try to save him as they showed in the last episode that I saw. I hope that the producers focus and develop Victarion and Euron Greyjoy's characters and relationship in Season 4.

Great fantasy series though. There is a such a depth of back story in the books that doesn't get mentioned or translated well to the show. Reading the books, you'll come to realize who Jon Snow's parents really were, why Rhaegar Targaryen "kidnapped" Lyanna Stark, etc. I have no idea how they'll present that in the show. I think the show has done a fantastic job telling the overall story of the series and in particular has done a really great job with Ramsey Bolton.

I just finished book 3 & am finally into new material. It's nice! I'll go against the tides and say...................... the movie's plot is even better than the book. More twists and turns, a thicker soup. Sure the book has more character development & backstory, but the main thrust????

I did enjoy Tywin & the Imp's scene on the privy. The symbolism throughout the book is very nice.

I had to take a break, the writing style can be rather cumbersome. I'll be ready for book 4 in about a month. I've got plenty of time.

I want to get pissed at Darwin, but I really can't! Stop it! Don't! Stop! oooooooh, don't............. stop!

The TV season will premiere in the first half of 2014.

Season 4 will be mostly based on the latter part of A Storm of Swords, the third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, but also some material may be added from the fourth and fifth books, which run concurrently alongside the end of the third book and each other.

I know. But I am worried. He has so far to go still and does not appear to be in the best of health as it is. And I do not know if he is as organized as Robert Jordan was and have a good outline and replacement writer lined up.

There is an end to the story. He knows it and has known it for years. It has also been discussed with the HBO folk so they know it as well. It's just not written down yet. Hopefully he lives to be 125 so we can hear it...

I know. But I am worried. He has so far to go still and does not appear to be in the best of health as it is. And I do not know if he is as organized as Robert Jordan was and have a good outline and replacement writer lined up.

I hope no one else tries to do it. It wont be the same, if he dies no one will be there to make sure the show doesnt stray too far as we've seen some differences already.

Isn't he like 60? I think he can do it

Dude,

Do you even like his writing? He'll take 20 pages & introduce 8 new characters you'll never hear from again to get across a point he later does in 1 sentence.

Makes up random stuff that have no significance on the plot.............. ad nauseum.

Kinda like mental masturbation, eh? I hear him compared to Tolkien....................... as if!

He'll take 3 books of 1000 pages each to build a character he kills in 1 sentence.

I need a longer break. The reviews of book 4 have a point.

1sl51.jpg

Dude,

Do you even like his writing? He'll take 20 pages & introduce 8 new characters you'll never hear from again to get across a point he later does in 1 sentence.

Makes up random stuff that have no significance on the plot.............. ad nauseum.

Kinda like mental masturbation, eh? I hear him compared to Tolkien....................... as if!

He'll take 3 books of 1000 pages each to build a character he kills in 1 sentence.

I need a longer break. The reviews of book 4 have a point.

1sl51.jpg

lol Well I will agree its not for everyone. I actually enjoy all the characters and their background. The people complaining in the reviews is because they want the story to come to an end, but what about all the stuff that happens in between. This isn't your teen novella clocking in at 300 pages.

Characters die just like real life it is no fairytale
and book 4 A Feast For Crows was actually one of my favs for reasons I can't go into in this thread because its not caught up to the show. When you play the game of thrones ser, you either win or you die there is no middle ground.

Does him killing off my favorite characters piss me off? yes, but only at first until I realized that the books are not about Eddard Stark.

he is better than tolkien because he is a lot more hardcore,

tolkien is for kids

Martin is for adults

He and the creators of the HBO show have discussed the ending and have also discussed what will happen if/when the show catches up to the books. He said he doesnt want that to happen but its looking more and more likely.

I actually like that the show is a little different than the books because then they can be viewed separately and not compared. Plus there is just way too much in the books that a show could never cover because of time and budgetary reasons.

Looking forward to season 4.

Latest posts

Back