SCOBY storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copytko

Reaction score
I made couple of liters of kombucha and I'm wondering how to storage multiplying amount of new SCOBY. Can I just freeze them or should I keep it in the starter? :)

Can you store them in a closed jar with starter. They call it a SCOBY hotel.

Haha.. SCOBY hotel. I like it.

I've never freezed a SCOBY myself but I don't see much point unless you want to ship it somewhere. If you have a few small mason jars then you can just keep SCOBY pieces with starter in the jars for awhile.

The other option is, give a SCOBY to a friend! A buddy of mine gave me my first SCOBY and I've been drinking Kombucha ever since. Spread the love. :)

i was wondering about this too, since i just bottled my first batch, and am brewing the next. should i store the extra scoby in this sealed jar with starter liquid in the fridge? or just the kitchen?

Depends on the temperature and how long you want it to sit for. Colder temperatures in general slow down cellular respiration, so the SCOBY won't replicate and process sugars as fast in the fridge. So.. it can be a good thing, but you don't necessarily need to.

Back