new brewer's IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

For my sixth batch of beer I thought I'd try a high gravity partial mash IPA. I've kind of made up the recipe and I'm planning on trying some new techniques, so any comments on either would be really appreciated.

This would be my first partial mash (using some fermentable 2-row pale ale malt as opposed to only steeping speciality grains). I thought I'd put some torrified wheat in to add head retention, and a little chocolate malt because I have some kicking around. Tell me if you think this mix of grains is just crazy.

Following advice I found on the internet - and given that I'm using 10lbs of LME - I'm thinking of adding most of the LME late in the boil. Should the LME added at the end just be dissolved at flame out before proceeding to immediately cooling the wort, or should it be steeped for a while, or even boiled (a second hot break)? If it needs to be steeped or boiled I'm worried that the extra time will interfere with my schedule of hop additions.

Cheers!

A. Steep grains for 45 minutes:
1lb pale ale malt
0.5lb crystal malt 120L
1oz chocolate malt
3.5oz torrified wheat

B. Add small amount of extract and bring to boil:
3.3lbs pale LME

C. Hop additions during boil:
60 minutes - 1.4oz East Kent Goldings (5%)
30 minutes - 1oz East Kent Goldings
15 minutes - 0.3oz East Kent Goldings
15 minutes - 0.6oz Citra (13%)
Flame out - 0.3oz East Kent Goldings
Flame out - 0.6oz Citra

D. At flame out, add rest of extract and steep for 15 minutes
3.3lbs pale LME
3.3lbs amber LME

E. Dry hop
0.3oz East Kent Goldings
0.3oz Citra

Ok, a few things here.
1) I see no point in adding LME at different times and personally would add these to the beginning of the boil.

2) once the boil has ended, isomerization of the alpha acids is done and will not *really* contribute to bitterness, only aroma and flavor. I say *really* because yes, of course there is still bitterness in these late, low temp additions just as in dry hopping. (This is a positive attribute to IPA's)

3) forget the chocolate completely (this has no place in an IPA recipe) and while we are at it substitute the C120 with something much lighter like C45) The wheat is totally acceptable for slight (low SRM) body and head retention.

4) forget EKG!! Substitute with clean bittering hop like magnum or Zeus. If this is a 5 gallon batch increase hop additions throughout and add some complexity in the later additions with something like centennial or simcoe. Always a good idea for IPAs to load up the late additions and dry hopping.

Don't mean to completely change your recipe man sorry!

(Disclaimer: this is assuming you want a west coast style IPA)

your plan for extract additions is completely fine, definitely do not add it all at the start, stick to the way you have it. there will be no hot break and it only needs to be pastuerized so adding at flameout is fine.

an oz of chocolate malt is only gunna add color, its fine as well if thats what you want it for. i agree on swapping the C120 for something lighter, the darker crystals clash with hops too much. since you're adding amber DME, i'd actually forgo the crystal addition entirely. you may want to start going with just light extract instead of the darker ones to have better control over your recipes.

EKG & citra is an interesting mix, but it could work if you want to try it. the citra is gunna completely dominate it tho. i'd move your 30min add later in the boil and bump up your total DH add to at least 2oz, same goes for KO, its a bit underhopped for an IPA as is.

What's the reasoning for adding extract additions like this dcp? Just curious, I've been all grain for years and might have forgotten.

I can personally attest to the twang. Had it in my first extract batch. Unmistakable. I have since moved to all grain but I'll never forget that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back