Will I still get starch conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnstormer

Reaction score
I have been brewing all grain for a while and it seems there is always a little hick-up in my brew day. Tonight I got distracted while heating my strike water and when I came back to it, it was at the temp I heat it to for my sparge. About 20 degrees too hot. It didn't click until I mixed my grain in and it settled at about 168 degrees. I quickly added cold water and got it down to about 152-155 or so. I would say it was there for maybe a couple minutes.

So my question is this. Did I kill the enzymes that are going to convert my starch for me or will I be okay? Maybe just reduction in efficiency? Thanks for the input in advance!

No, you're fine. It takes many minutes at that temp to halt all enzymes. I don't think you'll see a reduction in efficiency or notice any body/residual sweetness difference.

Great, thanks for the comfort. I figured it would be okay, but it's nice to have a little reassurance.

Back