wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argodzilla

Reaction score
I have 2 beers, both in primary undergoing initial fermentation. One is a brown, one is a light pale ale. I' m at a bad place with the weather and temp. My options are 70 degree fermentation or 59 degree fermentation. I have a fermentation chamber, but its not completed.

Which is my best option?

I'd pitch cold and then allow it to self rise as actives lows down. 1968 tends to add some fruity esters and at 70 I don't think you'd be happy;)

Ok ...went with option 3 ...freezer fermentation chamber with Johnson temp controller set for 65.

Thanks!

that yeast goes quick and is done. if you already have it fermenting and decide later what temp to ferment at, you've missed the bus! best then to keep it warm to let it finish, or it can stall out and leave fermentables and/or diacetyl. so if you got it early then indeed go with the lower temp. but if it's past the growth phase then i would not try to lower the temp, it will likely flocculate and drop like a concrete shoe, leaving you with diacetyl.

65 is great with that yeast. When it looks done, pull a sample and taste. If it has diacetyl, raise it to 70 for a day or 2. If its good just chill and keg it. The diacetyl rest will also chew up a lot of the malty goodness and english esters so only raise the temp if its necessary.

I brewed is Saturday. It was at 65-68 all night...about 2pm Sunday i noticed 69 and moved it to ferment chamber at 65. It's still going like crazy, so hopefully i didnt mess this beer up. Temp control is not easy for me during this time of year. The range is 45 to 75. I dont have a heater in the ferm chamber...so by morning i am noticing 60... So i am moving my beer around way to much.

Back