Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natehouk

Reaction score
I tried brewing my first batch Sunday. Everything seemed to be fine.

Monday, some how, the airlock suddenly blew off and beer splattered everywhere... Nearly up to the ceiling on the wall.

I am not sure what I did wrong to cause the pressure to build up like that.i thought the airlock was placed on correctly. I did use the entire bag of yeast from the ingredient kit, in the batch for fermentation... Did I put too much?

In the process of blowing off, the airlock was cracked. I ordered another off Amazon and have reinstalled it, but it took 48 hours to arrive.

Is the beer ruined from being exposed to air for 48 hours? Is it safe to drink? There doesn't seem to be much air bubbles now, at least compared to Sunday night.

Thanks for anyone's help.

NH

Welcome to the club. It's hapenned to all of us at one stage or another. Some fermentations are just active. Somtimes a hop can block the airlock and that causes the explosion. Sometimes it just happens.

It if was that active more than likely all the co2 protected it for the time it was exposed, but you wont know for awhile.

Even if it's "infected" it will always be safe...it may be undrinkable, but NOTHING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO OUR BEER IS DANGEROUS TO US. Nothing pathogenic can exist in beer.

The reason there's less air bubbles now should be obvious...you blew out all the excess co2. An airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's JUST a valve. The amount of bubbles or whether they're fast or slow, mean absolutely nothing.

Just relax.

Back