Need to change setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezron

Reaction score
So, I didn't obey SWMBO, and now I'm in the doghouse until I find a new place. Due to circumstances, I'll likely be moving back to Chicago and into an apartment, meaning that I won't really have the ability to brew with my propane ring anymore.

I had an idea to take my current gear and turn it into a combination mash cooler and boil kettle, and use an element to heat the water. I figure that way I can save space and cook everything inside or on whatever balcony I end up with.

The idea is to install the element into a standard kettle (maybe a bayou classic 44 qt), install the kettle inside of the cooler, then run a thermometer probe through both and then do biab. That way, I could have the tun to maintain temp for mash, then turn on the element during sparge and do the boil right there.

Before I start cutting on things, does anyone know if it is even possible to have boiling liquid inside of an Igloo cooler for an hour or 90 minutes? Would the tun degrade? All I can find on the Igloo site is that it's not meant for hot water (but then, we all use them for 150+ degree mashing, so...)

Another question that I have is, is there a waterproof temperature sensor for an Inkbird or STC temp controller? The one that came with my Inkbird is made of rubber or silicone, so I don't know how safe it would be to have it soaking in boiling water for extended periods.

This is all purely theoretical right now, and I may very well end up in a place with a balcony that I can just roll the ring out onto, or a patio or something.

Thanks

I would say no to the "boiling" water in an Igloo, but that said, there are tons of mash tuns out there that mash @ 170-180 range, with no ill effects.

Sorry about the doghouse.

But when you get to Chicago, look up my Buddy who just started a brewery tour business.

His "tour bus" will be unmistakeable, as it looks like a wooden beer barrel...........That's about 30 ft. long.

Wow. Not only put in the doghouse, but possibly kicked out of the town as well.

I agree with the above. My MLT cooler has warped slightly from just mash temps, I would not boil in there were I you. The coolers are rated more for cold than hot beverages. Were I you I would put the element in the BK and make it a BK/HLT or just a BIAB all in one.

As for the STC/ITC probe, you can always shove the probe into a thermowell and do it that way. That way you need not be worried about it.

Yep, they did quite a bit of engineering on that rig, what with the folding door and all, me thinks it's hydraulic powered!

Thing is neat inside as well!

Back