Need thermocouple advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadbraden

Reaction score
I am in the final stages of a stainless brutus build and I need some help with thermocouple and thermowell selection. I am following Lonnie Mac's design with a short thermowell in the tee on the MT and lid(s?). It looks like Lonnie uses a probe the he switches from a thermowell in the lid of the MT and the tee on the MT out. I would imagine I could do the same thing with a type K thermocouple. Does anyone know if they make a small type k thermocouple that fits into these thermowells so I can switch back and forth and where to get either. I also can't tell what he has going through the lid of the HLT. It looks like just a hole for a thermocouple or probe but I imagine I could just get the another type k thermocouple and drop it into another thermowell on the HLT as well? Any insight is appreciated.

There is every shape and thread size you can imagine.
I'm with you on placing one at the T... that's where you want to monitor for control. But the lid, and movable? Hmmm.
If you want to move it around just to see what the temp is... I would go with a straight up digital thermometer. I have a compression fitting bung with rubber o-rings in it (Bobby_M) that I use for digital, then I also have a permanently fixed analog thermometer in a different place just because.
Add a thermopen, and you can check anything you want.
Just my $.02.

The reason I need a thermocouple on both is that both will have a PID attached to the thermocouple and the PID will control the burners. I definitely need both with how I want to set it up. I really like Lonnie's lid setup because it lets you rotate lids based on what you are doing as opposed to going through my keggle which would dictate what I could use each keg for.

Back