Need the Potential SG value of Maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I was trying to put together some recipes in ProMash, and I realized that MaltoDextrin isn't on their preloaded list of sugars. I'd like to add it to the list, but I need to know the SG in pppm before it'll actually have an effect on the gravity calcs in ProMash. Does anyone know what it is?

I was wondering about this, too, and the only reference I could find was from an email list where a guy added 1 cup of MD to 1 gallon of water and measured a gravity of 1.014.

There's some slop there since he measured the MD by volume rather than weight, but that's at least SOMETHING to go by.

If I can find the reference, I'll post a link.

-walker

Maltodextrin will yield 40 gravity points per pound per gallon. For example, 1/2 lb in a 5 gallon batch would be expressed as (40 gravity points x .5 lbs ÷ 5 gallons = 4 or actually .004)

John

I didn't actually get this info initially from a website. I got it from my hard copy of Palmer's "How to Brew". Here is a link to the Typical Yield Table from his website. Maltodextrin powder is at the bottom of the table.

John

Dude said:
Why don't you use the same value as cara-pils dextrine malt? I'd assume that would be in the ballpark.

FWIW, that is 1.033.

I don't think you can do that, Dude. A pound of cara-pils grain is not going to provide a pound of MD sugar, so I expect that the two will have drastically different ppg numbers.

-walker

johnsma22 said:
Maltodextrin will yield 40 gravity points per pound per gallon. For example, 1/2 lb in a 5 gallon batch would be expressed as (40 gravity points x .5 lbs ÷ 5 gallons = 4 or actually .004)

John

that's probably pretty close to the "1 cup in 1 gallon = 1.014". If anyone has some MD on hand, check and see if 1 cup of it weighs about 5 or 6 oz.

-walker

johnsma22 said:
I didn't actually get this info initially from a website. I got it from my hard copy of Palmer's "How to Brew". Here is a link to the Typical Yield Table from his website. Maltodextrin powder is at the bottom of the table.

John

That works. :rockin:

Walker-san said:
I don't think you can do that, Dude. A pound of cara-pils grain is not going to provide a pound of MD sugar, so I expect that the two will have drastically different ppg numbers.

-walker

Yeah, I figured it might have gotten him in the ballpark, guess not. :D

Dude said:
Yeah, I figured it might have gotten him in the ballpark, guess not. :D

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. According to Palmer's chart, DM gives 32 ppg and MD gives 40 ppg. I expected a larger difference.

-walker

Good night,
I just performed an experiment based on Mr. Palmer's chart. I used the metric system so I converted to the American system. 40 ppg = 4798532.2610324 ppm
1 lb of maltodextrin in 1 galon of water is 40ppg
119,68 g of maltodextrin in 1 liter of water is 4798532.2610324 ppm
I put 119,68 g of maltodextrin in 1 liter of water and mixed in the magnetic stirrer for 30 minutes.
After that time I took a reading on the densimeter.
Result SG 1.038

Back