Need some roasting advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caferacer73

Reaction score
I'm new to home roasting. Been wanting to do it for a few years and finally took action.

I'm using a Whirely-pop with a thermometer that reads up to 650F on the side burner of my gas grill. I have been roasting about 8oz at a time. I let the Whirley-pop heat up to about 500F before I add the beans. I monitor temp during roasting and try to keep the the air temp inside the Whirley-pop between 300-400F. I'm ok up until the 1st crack and that's when things don't go so well.

My first batch I did I never heard the 2nd crack and burned the beans. Attempt #2 I pulled them off a few minutes after the 1st crack and ended up with a lighter roast (too light for my liking). I don't think I ever reached the 2nd crack. My latest attempt I waited a few minutes longer after the first crack and somehow still ended up burning the beans. I was listening for the 2nd crack and never heard it as well. I'm in a quiet area and the only sound is coming from the cranking of the Whirley-pop, which is one rotation every 2-3 seconds, so not very loud.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Identifying the cracks can be tough with some varieties of beans. Are you roasting the same type of coffee bean each time to dial it in or are you experimenting with different varieties?

I have seen variations in when or if the first crack occurs due to humidity as well. Often there is no first crack, so when you hear any crack check the beans for color and smoke. I usually roast most large bean varieties to 5-10 seconds after second crack occurs, which on my roaster is also when it starts to smoke. Any longer than that and you often get charcoal. I just assume every crack is second crack and go from there.

I bought the 4 pound sampler pack from Sweet Maria's (it's a variety of sources). I definitely am hearing the 1st crack (I've looked in just after the cracking finishes and the beans are in the process of turning from green to light brown. It's the second crack that I don't seem to be hearing. I usually get lots of smoke after a few minutes but no 2nd crack. I guess what I'll try on my next batch is keeping the air temp inside my whirley-pop around 350F after the 1st crack and check it in about 30 second intervals (I'll need to get my flashlight ready for use this time).

I also think my cooling process my be part of the problem. It's been in the 70's & 80's when I've been roasting and I pour the beans out on a cookie sheet. They look great when they on on the sheet (dark brown color with some oil on them), but they probably aren't cooling fast enough so they go from a dark roast to just roasted (not usable) in a matter of a few minutes.

I'm new to the game as well, but have been researching it quite a bit, and practicing as I can.

I found this video helpful: http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/roasting-whirley-pop-part-1

That video has some interesting information which I didn't know before. I haven't heard a crack when roasting so far, but I've gotten some great roasts. Where is the crack? Well, as porterpounder mentioned some beans don't give a strong noise. In my case I was using a peaberry bean, which I've now read is very faint and difficult to hear.

Regarding the cooling: you could probably benefit from tossing them around outside between bowls or something. This will help cool them, and get rid of the chafe. I also have been spreading mine out on a baking sheet after tossing them around, but I put some aluminum foil down to get a better idea of the color (and honestly to prevent the baking sheet from getting dirty).

Thanks for the video link. I'll watch it later tonight after I get home.

As for the cooling, I am planning on switching to two colanders to cool and remove chaff. Hopefully with all of the tips I've been getting it will pay off.

I would call today's roast a success. I rigged up a light so I could see inside my Whirley-pop (Duct taped my flashlight to the top of my grill - IMAG0011.jpg). Seeing the beans helped immensely. The roast was several seconds into the 2nd crack when I pulled off and started the cooling process (2 colanders - they worked great). From what I can tell, it looks like the roast came out to a Full City Roast-Light Vienna, maybe a hair less. Not that I'm too concerned about it. It's darker than my only successful run and lighter than my two failed attempts (waaaaayyyy past a dark roast on those).

I plan to target roughly this roast my next couple of attempts and then I think I'll have the hang of it.

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

That looks like a great roast there. I roast mine till they start to turn dark, then toss between two metal strainers. It comes out very similar to yours there.

Mine don't brew well unless I give them a couple of days. Not sure why.

I roast by sight alone. I've got the timing down, but time and sound are not reliable. The only way is to watch the beans.

It sounds like you like your beans exactly where I like mine. Maybe I should get into roasting...

That looks like a nice, consistent roast. Well done!

I roasted some on Saturday, and decided to do it inside rather than outside. Last time I was outside the wind was just too strong and I couldn't keep the heat. Roasted them on my stovetop and used a laser thermometer to take temp readings, comparing the temps to a chart from Sweet Maria's website. Ended up with exactly the roast I was looking for. I'd suggest the laser thermometer if you ever see one for a decent price - it seems worth it to me since you can get a reading of the bean temp, rather than the air temp in the whirley pop.

I tried Saturday's roast this morning and it was fantastic. They were a Brazilian bean, and it tasted very fruity - the wife said she'd never tried a Brazilian which tasted this fruity. Like Passedpawn said though, sometimes they take a few days. I'm interested in how you notice your beans change flavor over the next few days.

I used to roast on a whirly-pop until I built my bread machine roaster that you can see HERE.

A few points from my experience:

I would drop your charge temp a bit from 500F maybe try 380-400

You want to stretch the drying/time to yellow phase out a bit, somewhere around 4 -5 min from the drop.

Once you hit first crack cut your heat back, you want to stretch out the development time here. Beginning of first crack to beginning of second crack should be around 4 min or so.

I don't recall ever burning a batch, but I would crank @ 60 rpm
I would always stop briefly to listen for cracks.

I always give the beans 4 days or so before drinking, they need to off-gas CO2 and the flavor improves and usually peaks in the 7 -14 day range.

These of course are just guidelines and you will eventually find what works for you, but they have served me well.

Back