Need good recipes for Son to try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPahl

Reaction score
My son is working along with me on a wine and now I want to brew up something for him to enjoy!! I would like recipes that are able to be bottle carbed as we have no system here. Root beers, Cream Soda, fruit sodas, what ever is your favorite, etc. I have been looking at posts but no real instructions as to how to bottle carb have been given. Thanks in advance for the recipes.

Bottle carbing with soda is…interesting. Since you've got a lot more sugar than you do with beer you can get a lot more CO2.

When I bottle carbed a soda, I used PET bottles and waited until they were hard to the touch, then put them in the 'fridge. Glass can be used as well, but some people say you're more likely to get bottle bombs if you don't chill them once they're carbonated.

I had good luck with this ChowHound rootbeer recipe, and I've used some recipes from Homemade Root Beer, Soda & Pop

I also did a rhubarb-ginger soda that I think turned out well. It has the tanginess from the rhubarb and a nice ginger flavor.

Rhubarb-Ginger Soda

time 45 minutes
yield 1 gallon

ingredients
4 cups (about 2 pounds) chopped rhubarb
1 gallon water
Juice of one lemon
6 oz sugar
2 oz. ginger

directions
1. Put the rhubarb and water into a large pot set over high heat. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
2. Pour the orange and lemon juices and honey into a 3-quart or larger container.
3. Pour the hot rhubarb through a strainer into the container, pressing on the rhubarb to release all the flavor. Discard the rhubarb.
4. Whisk to dissolve the honey in the warm liquid. Taste and add more honey if desired, keeping in mind that you will be diluting the base with seltzer.
5. Cool to room temperature and pitch yeast.
6. Leave in at room temperature until bottles are hard to the touch, then refrigerate.

Back