Need a replacement for my beer fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
My 4.4 cuft Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM seems to be struggling to maintain a cold temp. I use one of the common temp controllers to set the temps and had it at 3c, where I normally would keep it for my keg. I also use it for fermentation, where 2 3gallon Better Bottles fit side by side just perfectly. I could try to have it repaired but I have the feeling it won't be worth it. They aren't all that expensive in the first place.

Right now the temp is struggling at 6c. I've used it down to 0 in the past. And it isn't that warm in the space. Even in the hottest part of the summer though it always just worked.

I've looked at HD and Lowes online, but anybody have any advice on a fridge that would just work? It can't be greater than counter height, and can't open from the top so that eliminates a chest freezer. I would use the same controller.
IMG_2779.JPG

I have had good luck with the Danby 4.4 fridge.
One my second because I drilled the chilly line on the first one. It was just a toddler at 4 years old.
Thermostat bypassed it will freeze beer.

The last one I bought was model # DAR044A4BSLDD-6
33.5" High outside
Fits 2 kegs but its snug on the width.
You have to shave the door but I think that is common with these mini fridges.
20210423_172526.jpg

My fridge fit the keg on the left side without taking the inside door off if I put it on a 1" shelf. Would this Darby fridge do the same and allow the keg on one side? Also, would it be possible for you to measure the inside width? The two bottles in my pic need to fit. What I can't figure out is how this Darby is 4.4 and my Frigidaire is 4.4 but the Darby is narrower on the outside. I've seen this one at HD for $159 so it fits the budget.

Right now my Frigidaire is at 4.9C and struggling to maintain it. Cold enough but runs continuously where it used to maintain 3C without struggling and was only on for short periods. In fact, the batch that is in the keg now was cold crashed at 1C in that fridge so it wasn't that long ago that it worked. I could also open and close it without it struggling to go back down to temp.

2 ball locks are a pressure fit. I'm almost certain ball locks are 8.5" so it would be 17" wide. The inside of the box is 18" but those shelf supports stick out a bit.
I am going to empty that fridge in a few days and can measure then.
I don't have the original door so I'm not certain but I think I've seen people do what you describe with one keg. With the keg pushed all the way back there is 2 1/2" from the front edge of the fridge to the keg.

16.625 wide to the shelf supports
10.75 from front edge to hump

When I bought this new one a took the door off and tossed it with the broken fridge. I regret that now that it's going back to a can/bottle fridge.

I finally went and looked today at a few stores and the ones they had would not hold the 2 Better Bottles side by side. I'm still trying to figure out how they are so narrow when they are the same cu ft. as the one I have. They are the same height too but don't look to be any deeper.

I think the Danby might be it but I haven't seen one yet. There are a few retailers in my area that supposedly have them but I've also found that the store locator on these websites isn't the most useful. They'll show a store that carries the brand but that could be a completely unrelated item.

It is getting to be brewing season again and getting demand from all of the beer drinkers around me (mostly my grown kids).

OK, another 4 months have passed and I finally just ordered the Danby as suggested sight unseen. I'm still hoping to not have to cut the door off as I only have one keg and maybe that'll fit without modification. I'll likely need to take the door holders off but that is no biggie. I don't believe the left side of the door is any deeper than the one I had so my Better Bottles should fit.

The thought I had is maybe the door insert on my current fridge would fit and I could swap, but only if necessary.

I just looked at my picture and realize that the indentation of the bottle is what allows it to work.

Tried out the fit today and everything fits without modification, just by removing the door holders. The single keg fits on the left side easily without even needing the lift to clear the bottom lip of the door. The bottles just fit.

The only problem is that the fridge rocks back and forth, the adjustable leg isn't long enough to compensate. I'd say it is my floor but even when I pulled it out again it rocked. I'll shim something under the back to even it out.

Now all I need to do is to brew some beer!

Did my first batch today after getting this fridge and aside from all the little problems, the very last thing was that the door wouldn't close. I could force it closed but it would pop open again. I'm guessing when I measured with my Better Bottles inside they were empty so the door would stay closed with a little force, but with 3 gallons of beer in it it would push out on it. In any case I pulled out a saw and cut off the smallest amount of the door molding that stuck out and that did the trick.

Latest posts

Back