Need a founder's green zebra clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
Seedless watermelons are on sale at Walmart today. I got a heavy one, thought I'd scoop it out , puree and freeze until I can find a recipe. Anyone happen to have one? I dont usually do clones but my son loves GZ and hes trying to buy his first house. Thought I'd brew a batch for the housewarming.

update- I have 1 1/2 gallons of watermelon puree .Most of it is in a gallon water jug the rest is in a ziplock bag. Both in freezer.

Base beer:
OG around 1.045 - 1.050
60% white wheat malt
40% pilsner

Mash around 146-150 for an hour
Boil as long as you see fit. Could do no boil or you could boil for 30-60 minutes. No hops.

Coriander: I'd start with a half ounce per 5 gal added at 5 mins in the boil or as a hot tea (180°F or higher to pasteurize) in primary. You could probably skip it entirely; I'm not sure whether Green Zebra actually has any.

Water: 100ppm calcium, 201ppm sodium, 427ppm chloride, 80ppm sulfate
That's about half an ounce of NaCl per 5 gal (You can add the NaCl in the boil; it doesn't affect mash pH.)

Pitch US-05 or WLP029 and L. plantarum together. Ferment at 66-68°F

Watermelon:
Make a watermelon concentrate as described on the other thread and add it immediately after primary fermentation completes, and you can use it for priming.
For safety it'd be smart to bring the concentrate to pasteurization temp for several minutes.
For the excessive sweetness in Green Zebra I would suggest adding xylitol. It's not fermentable and supposedly doesn't have an artificial taste. ... Or you could go down the path of bottle pasteurization (which I generally don't recommend, but it works).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I bottled 48 of these this morning. (really 48 ~1/2, I'll pop that 1/2 bottle I call the "brewer's preview" )in a couple weeks.
OG was 1.052
FG was 1.011
netting me a nice 5.38%ABV ...founders version is only 4.8%
I tasted it right as it hit the bottling bucket and had the hibiscus tea added for flavor and color. It has an ever so slight rosy hue and the taste im hoping in 2 weeks will be spot on. I didnt have to add any more salt . Any more and I think it would have tasted like gatorade.
as my usual ,I chose the spiese priming .

upload_2019-7-7_15-27-35.png

Back