n00b from Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the weather was nasty but the meeting happened.

The host provided some Colorado Elk, which was very good.
There were 7 or so people there. Me and another nOOb. The meeting started at 7pm but I and others trickled in late.

I have only attended meetings from one other club in Idaho. Here are the differences I noticed...

This one did not have a 'business' portion to the meeting. Not as official in taking meeting minutes, approving last meeting minutes, proposing new items, etc. The Idaho club always has enough stuff going on to warrant this part of the meeting. This is probably a result of having this part. Vicious circle, you know... They have a rule that the drinking/tasting portion of the meeting doesn't start until the business portion is complete. This is to ensure that it gets completed.

The club meeting here is based around the club contests as detailed by AHA. Last night was a porter meeting. It started with snacks and some misc beers to taste. Then after about an hour of hanging out, etc, the meeting moved to official porter judging for the club entry. There were five entries and three purchased examples, so eight tasting/judgings in all. All were blind with official BJCP judging sheets. It took about an hour to get those eight judged. One of the members went out of his way to get some classic examples of Brown, Baltic and Robust Porters and probably spent a few $$ to make it great. Some of those beers were very good.
After the judging was complete, we broke out some other beers to sample and enjoy.
I probably overstayed my welcome and headed home at about 11:30pm.
Pretty good time!

Back