Plastic fermenter container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my 8gallon today. It's pretty cool. I'm going to drill out the lid for an airlock soon here. I'm a little concern about the plastic seam in the bottom. Looks like bacteria heaven with all those little spots. Are your two like that also?

There is a seam, it's relatively smooth. Drilled out for airlock already thinking of putting a spigot too. Going to do a 6.5 gal low gravity brew in it Sat. I'll post here to let you know how it comes out.

I think the spigot is going to go where the date stamp is. I'll be brewing a batch Sunday

No spigot on this yet, wanted to put one kind of like the spiedel (sp?) fermenters but can't find what I want.... Doing a Pliny the Toddler (4.7abv) now

image-1390094817.jpg

image-1182943910.jpg

I bottle my batch on Sunday. It works. I cracked it open and got a face full of co2. I like the handles. 6 gallon apa with American ale yeast. I just used an airlock no blowoff tube. I will be doing a hefe in mine next.

Rys06Tbss said:
I'll be buying another one.

Very cool I'm bottling my IPA Sat... It's a nice container.... I also just used an airlock on a 6.5 gal recipe... forgot to take airlock off and as I was undoing the buckle thingy it started sucking thru the air lock caught it before it sucked any StarSan in, I've really got to get me some more vodka!!

Get the 13 gal one! why not?!! I was supposed to bottle last week and when I took my last reading and did a taster it tasted like a hopped ale (this was my IPA) , so I dry hopped with about 2 oz of Centennial hops I think I diluted too much.... from the start, now it tastes great!!!!

Rys06Tbss said:

These are great!! I've just bottled another batch scaled up to 7 gals it's so nice to finish up and get 3 cases of beer!!!
I'm taking the leap... picking this one up on Sat. 13 gal with a screw down lid going to do an 11.5-12 gal batch Sunday!!!

image-868507732.jpg

I still only have an 8 gallon. I just wish I was closer so I could pick them up. I ran out of propane halfway through my last boil and had to run to get more, I didn't boil enough liguid last batch and had and extra gallon. My 8 is in use right now and had it not have been I wouldn't have had to use a 1 gallon fermenter, oh well I'm trying two different yeasts with my ipa now. Lemme know how that white one is. Might get one instead of another 8.

Man that sux running out of propane is my biggest fear, no one close by that is reasonable. I'm trying to find a big propane tank like off a forklift, I've been told RV supplies has them. For sure I'll let you know how it is... yea being close helps, shipping prices blow, hope its not too unwieldy to move around!!

Man that sux running out of propane is my biggest fear, no one close by that is reasonable. I'm trying to find a big propane tank like off a forklift, I've been told RV supplies has them. For sure I'll let you know how it is... yea being close helps, shipping prices blow, hope its not too unwieldy to move around!!

It's no big deal, your run out get more propane and start where you left off...you won't even notice.

It's no big deal, your run out get more propane and start where you left off...you won't even notice.

Well I normally start with 8 gallons preboil. I don't know what happened. My sight glass kept boiling over so i had the temps lower then normal i guess. Oh well I was shooting for 7.1abv and ended up with an OG of 1.074. And an extra 1.5 gallons of brew. So all in all it worked out I guess

So I really like this container. Still only have one. I am thinking about making a 5.5 gallon batch of Belgium strong ale. Do you think I'll have enough head space to avoid a blow out? I was also thinking about making a RIS but I already have a flanders red in one fermentor and don't want to tie up another one for 4 months

stvo said:

Lowes sells an inexpensive 40 lb tank - that is about twice the size of the BBQ tanks. Be forewarned, it's heavy when full, but you should still be able lug it around.

Back