Favorite Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is like asking " who is the most beautiful woman in the world?".

Too many good choices to pick just one.

I haven't been to many but Sierra Nevada was thoroughly impressive. Beautiful from the inside out, energy efficient, and the people were super friendly.

Oh yeah, they make tasty beer too.

Yeah I know there are a lot of good ones I've been trying all kinds of different ones since I let my pipeline run a little dry got to busy. I'm liking what Dogfish head has so far Stone is also really good

Are we talking beers or the actual building itself? My favorite brewery tour I've done was at Allagash, the people there were very friendly, the tour was very informative, and man, their barrel aging rooms a sight (and smell) to behold. They also have monitors playing vintage beer ads in the bathrooms. :D

As far as beer itself goes, I'll have to agree with beergolf on this one. Just too many choices.

I was thinking of beers but its interesting to hear about the breweries themselves ive never been to one yet I just had an Alagash brew the other night it was quite good

Oh... If we're talkin beer then yeah there are so many good ones but Firestone Walker hasn't let me down yet.

That's a tough call as there are breweries that I really like 1-2 of there beers but there are others that I like most of the beers, but not as much as I like the 1-2 from the other guys.

We have nano-brewery in Atlanta called Burnt Hickory and I really like everything I've tried from them. They do a lot of very creative brews and they are just getting to where they are starting to bottle, previously only available at the brewery or locally on draft. I think they'll do very well when they start to get some exposure.

Bath Ales from Bath, UK for "proper" beers.

Probably The Kernel from London for the fancy US style nonsense ;) but that's more due to availability, I've tried more of them more often.

Short's Brewery in Bellaire, MI. A bunch of reasons. I grew up there. I've seen how much the town has changed now that it has become a beer destination and not just a ski resort destination. Their beers kick ass. They have 20 beers on tap, typically, if not more. I've had a lot of interesting and creative brews there, and learned a lot about beer in the process. Also, a relative of mine once owned the building when it was a hardware store, several years before becoming Short's.

Short's Brewery in Bellaire, MI. A bunch of reasons. I grew up there. I've seen how much the town has changed now that it has become a beer destination and not just a ski resort destination. Their beers kick ass. They have 20 beers on tap, typically, if not more. I've had a lot of interesting and creative brews there, and learned a lot about beer in the process. Also, a relative of mine once owned the building when it was a hardware store, several years before becoming Short's.

We were just drinking Aorta Ale and were commenting on how much we love Short's. It's the fourth largest brewery in Michigan, currently, and I think it will keep growing. Solid beers, through and through, even though Joe can make some very weird beers (strawberry shortcake beer, I think a s'mores beer?) his basic beers are really awesome.

I also love Surly (in Minneapolis). Every single one of their offerings is good.

Great Lakes (in Cleveland) is another one that I love. All of their styles are good representations of the style, while their robust porter (Edmund Fitzgerald) is the gold standard of the style. Their IPAs are also ridiculously good, while the APA they are known for, Burning River, is a very nice one.

There are other good breweries, of course. But in some, they have one or two fantastic beers, while others are "meh". The three I mentioned are all good, all the time.

I am loyal to my local, now going state-wide- Dry Dock Brewing. After that, I vascillate between O'Dells, Great Divide, Avery, and Left Hand.

Too many riches in CO.

Yooper said:
Great Lakes (in Cleveland) is another one that I love. All of their styles are good representations of the style, while their robust porter (Edmund Fitzgerald) is the gold standard of the style. Their IPAs are also ridiculously good, while the APA they are known for, Burning River, is a very nice one.

Great Lakes is...great. Their rye of the tiger IPA is pretty tasty. The Edmund Fitzgerald has been the benchmark by which I judge all other porters for a while now. Though, I hadn't had it on a couple of months after starting brewing and didn't like it quite as fanatically now that my palate is a little more refined.

I've yet to have anything from Lefty's brewing co. in Greenfield MA that I've disliked. He makes some really tasty brews, and definitely got an imaginative side.

This is difficult. I really enjoy Dogfish Head's brews. I'll throw in a vote for Bell's as well. I don't think I've developed a true favorite yet though.

Locally: Upstream Brewing Co. I like their access to their brewers whims, proximity to my house, and they make good beer. Nebraska Brewing Co. is also making some fine beers, a little less accessable for me.

Nationally: Funkwerks, The Bruery, O'So Brewing, Odells, Great Divide, Avery, Denver Beer Co., Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, and I'm sure many others I am neglecting all hold special places in my beer heart.

Hanger 24 .. great atmosphere and great beer.

I think I might love Stone better, but Hangar is a close second. They consistently turn out a wonderful product and they have something for everyone (which Stone does not).

Are you local to Hangar? Have you tried Dunkey Punch or Ritual?

Locally, I really like Peticolas Brewing Company. I might be biased but I volunteered there for a week brewing/kegging/cleaning/delivering and I go and help with the tours every once in awhile. The owner is really friendly and is very community and family oriented. He also makes one heck of a Imperial Red Ale (Velvet Hammer) and English Pale Ale (GABF gold medal winning: Royal Scandal).

Haven't been to too many breweries outside of DFW but I really like Jester King out in the hill contry in Austin.

Locally: The Commons (Best belgium style beers I've had) and Gigantic (Well made, interesting beers)

Anywhere: Russian River (Sours, Sours, Sours), Boneyard (Great IPA's)

Firestone is my desert island brewery.

Ever been there? It's a giant restaraunt too. They had/have a beer on tap. Forgot the name. But, I had a sample. The beer tasted as smooth as if to melt in your mouth. Man. Very good. Not creamy, not smokey, chocolate. Just a damn fine brew. Only serve it on tap at Firestone brewery.

Founders, they have the largest selection of world class beers, from stouts and porters, to Scottish ales and ipa's. All their beers are fantastic, and KBS is among the best in the business. It's not easy for an Ohio guy to compliment anything from that state up North, but got to give them their due here.

Hard to go wrong at Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, CA! Sierra Nevada has an amazing brewery, tour, and sampler. Lagunitas does a great job, and Stone Brewing is great as well.

The Bruery has impressed me with the few beers that I've tried of theirs. Also, can't forget about Cantillon...!

Bells, out of Kalamazoo, Michigan. Two Hearted is reason enough but I've never had a bad Bells beer (not much of an Oberon fan but that's because of the style).

Depends on what day of the week it is, haha. I think my vote goes for Three Floyds. They dry hop practically everything, which agrees with my palate quite nicely!

Ever been there? It's a giant restaraunt too. They had/have a beer on tap. Forgot the name. But, I had a sample. The beer tasted as smooth as if to melt in your mouth. Man. Very good. Not creamy, not smokey, chocolate. Just a damn fine brew. Only serve it on tap at Firestone brewery.

Yep, made it there for the first time two weeks ago. Got the freshest double jack I've ever tasted. I am pretty sure you are talking about the unfiltered dba. It was excellent! The new 805 was meh, but everything else was outstanding.

Gotta say Founders. Haven't had anything I don't like from them. And KBS wow!

I gotta agree with you. And it pains me to say Founders is my favorite, coming from Portland, OR, but the beer gut wants what the beer gut wants.

Also kind of in love with Deschutes (PDX) and Burnt Hickory (ATL) right now.

Founders is my go to brew, everything is mighty tasty,and the pub is pretty cool. With that said, Southern Tier puts out some pretty awsome brews as well.

Back