Batch Sparging - Lautering speed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Simple question for which I can't seem to find an answer:

When emptying the mash tun after recirculation, do you empty the wort quickly or slowly?

I apologize if this has been answered. My forum skills are lacking.

Most people who batch sparge drain as quickly as their system allows without sticking.

The beauty of batch sparging is the speed- you can open the valve just a little at first, to set the grainbed, and vorlauf, then run it wide open.

It doesn't work on the property of diffusion like continous (fly) sparging does. You just stir in the "batch" of sparge water, stir like you mean it, vorlauf and drain. About 10 minutes total, if that, and I get the same efficiency batch sparging as continous sparging.

After vorlauf, I run my valve about 1/2 open till the wort is just below the grain bed, then open fully. This is just my way of preventing a stuck sparge-like Yooper said, the sugar is (ideally) already in suspension, so you can go as fast as your system allows. I've also taken to setting a timer for 5 min. for my "batch" stirring.

Back