I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salmonella from chickens? Who knew???! ;)

What specifically is he having a problem with that he requires such a long time between treatments?

When they take his blood, the blood cell counts aren't right. Whites are low or this is high. I always start getting dizzy when they get all technical. But he's having shots to make his blood right. But still it takes weeks in between. Usually they say his white blood cell counts are too low, but other times they say such and such is wrong. TMI for me to remember every detail. Basically, he's very weak. Each chemo treatment seems to almost kill him. They keep changing the chemo he's getting, changing it each and every time, trying to find one he can handle. That's why he's on the WalkMed, so they can see if a slower infusion will work. The doctor walks in and shrugs his shoulders, says, "Okay, we'll try something else." Like hubby is a grand experiment for them.

Yeah, I should have been more careful, who ever heard of salmonella from chickens?

The doctor walks in and shrugs his shoulders, says, "Okay, we'll try something else." Like hubby is a grand experiment for them.

I know it can seem like that sometimes but it's just the nature of the beast for so many different pharmaceutical "targets", for everything from chemo treatments to antidepressants. Chemo drugs are just one of those things that are almost impossible to predict the outcome for any one individual, so unless the doctors get absolutely lucky the first time, that pharmaceutical merry-go-round is just unfortunately almost always unavoidable. It's easy to forget sometimes that doctors are humans just like the rest of us, and can't always immediately have all the right answers. I sincerely hope your hubby finds the optimal treatment for him soon.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cancer does your hubby specifically have? If you've already mentioned it, I probably missed it. Though it's understandable if you'd prefer to keep it private. Regardless, my thoughts are with the both of you.

I almost hit the like button on Emjay's post but it seemed inappropriate given the topic.

But, Emjay summed things up well. Really well, Bobbi. For your own sanity believe in the doctors. They are doing everything in their power.

Not to make light of this but it's kind of like the battle with your ol' possum and you. Willpower will win in the end. No ties.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cancer does your hubby specifically have? If you've already mentioned it, I probably missed it. Though it's understandable if you'd prefer to keep it private. Regardless, my thoughts are with the both of you.

It started as colon cancer, after 8 rounds of chemo and ongoing radiation, they shrank the tumor down to the size of a "small apple", removed it with surgery. Checked the closest lymph nodes and organs, it spread. We are on year 2 now. This removing part of the colon then putting the rest back together is not applicable in his case. They removed more body parts than I care to mention.

This is why I don't go to cancer support groups. It shouldn't, but it makes me upset that people find a little lump, get treated, yeah!!! Now they are cancer-free. Well, good for you and yours. But, not how it works for everyone. He waited too long to see a doctor but not because I didn't beg him to go for 8 months, finally went to his family and had this "intervention" type thing and made him go in for testing. Doctor said he should have come in 3-4 years earlier when he first started seeing the signs. But, hubby is not one to complain until it gets really bad. That particular tumor had been growing that long. This is why I go see a doctor anytime I think I'm not feeling too good, hubby says I'm a hypochondriac. He can think whatever he wants.

And sorry to any cancer survivors I may have offended by my comments. Again, why I don't go to the support meetings, I'm offensive with my comments sometimes.

Code:
 and have pretty much been universally told to spend at least as much on glass as I do on the gun

Back in the old days I would agree but there are some mighty fine optics out there in the mid range cost that are rock solid and more than good enough for hunting. And just because it is a brand name and costs a ton does not mean it is all that good. I bought a 3 grand scope for my 50 bmg that lasted less than a 100 shots. And I bought a 300 dollar scope that I put on my .204 that has been one of my best scopes.

I have to say though my favorite scope is a old Redfield ranging scope used by the US snipers back in Vietnam. I got it on a .308 and I pitty the elk that decides to make himself known when I got that gun.

Sigh I still have not decided which gun to use. Now I am leaning towards the 22-250 just because it is good out to 1000 yards. The .204 is way more accurate but only good to about 800 yrds with the 40 grain bullets.

And sorry to any cancer survivors I may have offended by my comments. Again, why I don't go to the support meetings, I'm offensive with my comments sometimes.

I have lost some loved ones to cancer in the last few years and I can understand what you are saying. I really hated hearing them say I know how you feel when their loved one is living and I have a funeral.

You know I have good thoughts going your way Bobbi and I hope for the best.

I too have lost very close and dearly loved people to cancer in the last few years. This month marks the 3rd year since brain cancer took my mother. She got her diagnosis in February 2010, started doing treatment and passed away on May 24th, 2010. I was not allowed to travel or see her because at the time I was undergoing a total of 4 back surgeries from January through March of that year. I missed her funeral.
Mostly, I miss her.

I feel for you and yours Bobbi!

Code:
 and have pretty much been universally told to spend at least as much on glass as I do on the gun

Back in the old days I would agree but there are some mighty fine optics out there in the mid range cost that are rock solid and more than good enough for hunting. And just because it is a brand name and costs a ton does not mean it is all that good. I bought a 3 grand scope for my 50 bmg that lasted less than a 100 shots. And I bought a 300 dollar scope that I put on my .204 that has been one of my best scopes.

I have to say though my favorite scope is a old Redfield ranging scope used by the US snipers back in Vietnam. I got it on a .308 and I pitty the elk that decides to make himself known when I got that gun.

Sigh I still have not decided which gun to use. Now I am leaning towards the 22-250 just because it is good out to 1000 yards. The .204 is way more accurate but only good to about 800 yrds with the 40 grain bullets.

I have to agree with you Vman! some of the best glass I have. I still have a couple of Redfield and Simmons scopes that I have had for over 30 years. My spotting scope was a gift in my younger days from an old girlfriend, some off brand that I don't even recall but you know it still worked great for almost 25 years before we dropped it 2 seasons ago over a little 12ft rock ledge. I haven't replaced it yet.

...I have already been looking at rifles and trying them out. I've had a bunch of different ones recommended to me, but I felt by far the most comfortable with the Sako 85 and the (cheaper, but made by the same Finnish company) Tikka T3, which weren't even recommended to me by anyone.

I'd love the Sako, but I'm probably going with the Tikka because the Sako definitely ain't cheap and, despite otherwise being the most bleedingest heart of liberals, I intend to get into hunting (for perhaps a rather unusual reason... and that's another license that requires a hunter's ed course and another 80%+ exam, though I already have that one as it requires no background check), and have pretty much been universally told to spend at least as much on glass as I do on the gun, plus all the other hunting gear I'll need to get... even with the Tikka, the initial outlay isn't going to be small by any means!QUOTE]

Emjay, go with what you are comfortable with. Shoot what works for you. I have some very expensive top end rifles but what I almost always take to the field with me is my "economy" class Browining 300 Win Mag, Savage 30-06, Ruger 10/22 or Mossberg 12guage - depending upon what I am hunting. That may change up a bit when we move to the lower 48 but that's what I have used for nearly 20 years here in Alaska out of the moderate collection I have.

Sorry, kind of catching up. My Wife and I have both been laid low for a little over a week with severe Bronchitis.

Over the hump day. Ooof, we'll make it. Row, row row. I'm getting into a new design for the military - IFF device (id friend - or -foe). Helmet-worn device that responds to infrared interrogation so that friendlies don't get shot. I'm excited, I haven't done a military project since the 90's.

For your late night soundtrack, Johnny Horton. Subsailor should like this one. Big nuggets they're finding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEESrUA

Thanks Mate! I loved that song even as a kid in Michigan and still do! My Nephew just went back up to the Red Dog Mine. He was invited to come back and work for the 3rd year in a row. He really likes it alot and makes pretty good pay for the season up there. He lost all of his toes to frostbite as a teenager and don't get around real well so he feels good that he is able to keep going back doing welding and heavy equipment operation for them.
Red Dog is way up Northwest sort of between Kivalina and Noatak.

... I'm getting into a new design for the military - IFF device (id friend - or -foe). Helmet-worn device that responds to infrared interrogation so that friendlies don't get shot. I'm excited, I haven't done a military project since the 90's. ...

That sounds very cool. How many layers of redundancy have to be built into a system like that to ensure a system error doesn't result in someone being accidentally shot?

I love layers of redundancy, they make me happy. Also makes me happy is found money. That claim your money thing, I have 2 waiting for me. Totaling $144.67. I will go on an online shopping spree.

I am feeling back to normal. Hubby is having a good day and me too. Today will be finishing the chicken tractor. Made from an old swingset, get these bastards off my porch and put their crap to good use. Just going to roll them around the garden. Let the **** fall where it may.

Hubby got up before me today, I had fallen asleep on the couch. Oh, I talk in my sleep, well, actually, hubby says I normally scream and curse in my sleep. He said, you were dreaming about bigfoot this morning. I said why, what did I say? He said, you yelled "Bigfoot!!!". Hmmm... I don't recall the dream. Sometimes I dream about killing people, but no worries, I have an appointment with my shrink next week.

On a serious note, it makes me... um not jealous or envious, those aren't the right words because they imply malice, but something when people get treated for cancer and it makes them better. For others it is slow torture. I don't like to see my loved one being slowly tortured. It makes me curse in my sleep and dream about killing people. Again, don't worry, I am on medication.

The great thing about living near a college town, next month semester is out and I plan to score an awesome kegerator on craigslist, prices are already dropping. I plan on practically stealing it from a college kid. Maybe with my found money. Once a 12 year old stole $2M in fake money from me on a gaming site I joined. I joined because at the time my kids were into the site and I wanted to see what it was about. By now that kid is probably college age and it's payback time.

Just got my mail and a thank you letter from National Parks Conservation Society. A bunch of very nice return address labels, a bumper sticker and a form to fill out with a postage paid envelope to receive a free fleece picnic blanket. I have no idea what I did to get this or how they got my address.

Just got my mail and a thank you letter from National Parks Conservation Society. A bunch of very nice return address labels, a bumper sticker and a form to fill out with a postage paid envelope to receive a free fleece picnic blanket. I have no idea what I did to get this or how they got my address.

Yours is not to question why ... just return the form before they change their minds! :ban:

Yours is not to question why ... just return the form before they change their minds! :ban:

I will!! I think it may have been the time I called to complain about littering in our nearby National Forest. I'm pretty sure they did ask me to identify myself. Then I made a big sign out of poster board, strapped it over my shoulders and on the front and back, it said, "Please, Do Not Litter" and with hubby's grabber thingie I spent the day picking up litter. People were taking pictures of me with their phones. Hmmm... nice to see my efforts appreciated. Looking forward to the nice blanket and I really like these return address labels. Will put the bumper sticker on my truck. :)

The reason why I did that was because I like to illegally ride my 4-wheeler through there, it's a nice short-cut. People were throwing glass bottles and I was worried about getting a flat tire.

I remember the dream now. I opened the back door and saw a huge bear in the distance, he had just spotted my dog and was coming full force. I told hubby grab the gun, a bear is after our dog. Hubby got ready with the rifle and the bear got closer, only for me to realize it was humanoid, a furry humanoid thing, and I screamed, don't shoot, Bigfoot! Because you can't shoot Bigfoot. That would put an end to the series "Finding Bigfoot" and that would be a tragedy. Those folks are so passionate about it, let's just let them find him[bigfoot] first. It will make them so happy. And aren't happy people so nice to be around?

:ban:

The most tedious part of my deck refinishing is cutting up the old boards, bundling them and putting them out for trash pick-up. I'm lucky they take it (rather than having to rent a dumpster bag) but I can only put out so much a week. It's going to be another month before the pile is gone. :(

On the plus side - now that I did this week's load, I get to drink a beer! :mug: :ban:

It started as colon cancer, after 8 rounds of chemo and ongoing radiation, they shrank the tumor down to the size of a "small apple", removed it with surgery. Checked the closest lymph nodes and organs, it spread. We are on year 2 now. This removing part of the colon then putting the rest back together is not applicable in his case. They removed more body parts than I care to mention.

This is why I don't go to cancer support groups. It shouldn't, but it makes me upset that people find a little lump, get treated, yeah!!! Now they are cancer-free. Well, good for you and yours. But, not how it works for everyone. He waited too long to see a doctor but not because I didn't beg him to go for 8 months, finally went to his family and had this "intervention" type thing and made him go in for testing. Doctor said he should have come in 3-4 years earlier when he first started seeing the signs. But, hubby is not one to complain until it gets really bad. That particular tumor had been growing that long. This is why I go see a doctor anytime I think I'm not feeling too good, hubby says I'm a hypochondriac. He can think whatever he wants.

That's really unfortunate to hear. It's actually a very serious problem with countless men trying to tough it out too long, putting their lives at a serious increased risk. Even without symptoms, men of a certain age should be getting screened annually. Unfortunately, our modern society has created an image of "manly men" who don't complain, tough things out, and don't need anyone else's help, and it's led to a lot of unnecessary death and suffering.

And I'd like to have empathy and be able to say I know how it feels, but you're right, I don't. My mother had cervical cancer a few years back and it was dealt with so surely and swiftly (gamma knife surgery) that the cancer didn't even generate a scare in anyone. I really can't even imagine what it's like to be in a position like yours.

Either of you guys have any specific recommendations for optics? I think I'd actually like to get one with something like a mildots system.

Can't quote what you said because you didn't quote correctly and I'm using the app, but absolutely I'm going with what I'm most comfortable with. I find the Tikka T3 and Sako 85 (same company from Finland, different brands) equally comfortable, but while the Sako is definitely a nicer gun overall that I'd love to have, I think I'm going to go with the Tikka in .308 for my first real rifle.

Here's some BTO to start the evening. Still daytime here but it's night somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
Either of you guys have any specific recommendations for optics? I think I'd actually like to get one with something like a mildots system.

Sightron is very good and middle range cost. I use a 8 by 24 milldot out to 1000 yrds all the time and think it would go even further depending on the gun I put it on. You need to kind of tailor the scope you buy though for the kind of hunting you do. Today with our guns set up long range from about 300 yrds out we did not miss. But the chucks were safe up close in say under a 100 yrds. Longest shot of the day was 875 yards and once we ranged it and doped the wind it was not a tough shot.

55 chucks met their maker today. I shot one because it was a good clean shot and I figure I could use the meat. But sadly enough the meat was trashed :mad:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcufW-Ckvo"]Cybergoth - Asphyxia - Obliterate My Fate[/ame]

That's really unfortunate to hear. It's actually a very serious problem with countless men trying to tough it out too long, putting their lives at a serious increased risk. Even without symptoms, men of a certain age should be getting screened annually. Unfortunately, our modern society has created an image of "manly men" who don't complain, tough things out, and don't need anyone else's help, and it's led to a lot of unnecessary death and suffering.

Yep.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1G-9WUgptY"]Blutengel- Reich mir die Hand[/ame]

With some of these song choices, are you saying it's okay to be angry and dream about killing people? Life and death, a fine line between them sometimes. Some people just gotta go and some gotta stay. I will tell my shrink that sometimes it's okay, no worries.

Who's going to live,
Who is going to die today.

When does it become fair?
Never?

Wrong answer!
Retaliation!

Or play it cool,
Let it go to my dreams.

:rockin: Lyrics to my new rock song. :cross:

I've realized a few things recently. They mainly confirm I am far from perfect. I like that because I like being humble. Vanity is selfish and I wish not to be but at the same time think I'm very vane. My mom was a bit vane in her way. My dad was just the opposite. Humblest guy I've ever known. I suppose I'm a cross between the two.

1. I recently saw "Threadstarter" in the lower left corner where my name and avatar go and with absolute vanity thought Wow! Recognition. I've started a few threads here. Some do pretty well. Thanks HBT Lords for noticing.

Then I finally realized anybody who is an OP is a thread starter and noted the same way. Face Slap!! Laughed at myself and felt like an arrogant fool. TxBrew, putting "Thread Starter" on a thread makes it easy to know who the OP was without going back to the first post all the time.

I said there were a few things but this post has already taken to much of your time reading. Maybe I'll post later on my other vane weaknesses.

With some of these song choices, are you saying it's okay to be angry and dream about killing people? Life and death, a fine line between them sometimes. Some people just gotta go and some gotta stay. I will tell my shrink that sometimes it's okay, no worries.

Who's going to live,
Who is going to die today.

When does it become fair?
Never?

Wrong answer!
Retaliation!

Or play it cool,
Let it go to my dreams.
Generally, dreams are a reflection of your subconscious mind. If there is something in a dream that disturbs you, then you should discuss it with your shrink. If you can understand it, then you should be able to exert some measure of control over it.

Warning weird dream description is eminent....

I remember having a dream where some bloodthirsty guy was stopped just on the boundary of my property. Right on the border of the ward.

I had that dream several times.

Finally, I went out and asked him what he wanted. He told me he was going to get into the house and kill and mutilate those inside. He was very descriptive. I remember visualizing what he said in the dream. I didn't have any doubt in my dream he could get inside, given enough time.

So I said, "I can't allow that." Then I shot something black out of my left index finger into his face. It engulfed and obliterated him. It just left a slight depression in the road where he was standing. There was no sound to it. He didn't even get to scream, seeing as his face was the first thing to get enveloped.

The dream bothered me, until I caused the object of fear from the dream to cease to exist. The fear went away, and so did the dream.

/weird dream description.

I hope a little vanity is okay. Sometimes I wake up and look at myself in the mirror and think, I'm a lucky *****, most women look terrible in the morning. Screw make-up, I don't need it. Hit the 40 mark and still get IDed here and there. Could they really possibly think I was under 21? Maybe, I'm hot for my age. Heck, I'm vane enough to say I'm hot for any age. So, ha! :p

Back