Mystery Coconut Flavour - where from??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchAndYaw

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some insight and speculation.

I've got a Kettle soured Witbier 10 days into fermentation. Tasted a sample and got an unmistakable flavour of coconut. Strange thing is - coconut was not included in the process !

What could produce this mysterious coconut flavour ?

Here's a rundown of process and ingredients. Wort was soured with L. Delbrueckii for 48 hours before boil. Grain bill includes 50/50 malted barley and flaked wheat. 10% acidulated malt. Small portion of flaked oats too. Bavaria mandarina hops only 20g for 5l. At flame out I added 12g ground coriander, 50g dried sweet orange peel, and contents of three teabags of camomile. Yeast is Belgian abbey, dry, by Mangrove Jacks, I did 5 days at 16 Celsius then raised it to 22.

My guess is it's a combination. None of those ingredients call out a coconut flavor to them.

You fermented on the cool side for that yeast. Based on my VERY quick research of that yeast, that would give more fruity/floral esters and less spicy/banana flavors.

The hops descriptors are tangerine and citrusy.

I think between the orange peel, coriander, camomile and then your yeast and hops, you just happened to get a combination of flavor compounds that resemble coconut.

Someone with a little more knowledge of these ingredients may be able to pinpoint the source of the coconut a bit more precisely.

Back