My wife made me do it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc_trott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Another rank amateur here. My wife bought me the gear to start home brewing for Christmas, so I guess there's no way out now. :>)

I've been studying up, and I'm almost ready to start with the Block Party Amber Ale she got me, but I'm here because I have questions. So I'm off to the rest of the forum to see if I can find the answers. If I don't, I'll be sure to post a question of my own.

Can't wait to try my first homemade homebrew!

Peter

fond memories of when i was 18, and my mom got me my first kit! (then a keg, co2 tank...i bought my own fridge though, lol)

Welcome!

I started my home brewing when my WONDERFUL wife told me "you are not getting any younger and I know you really want to do this". She has supported my hobby and bought some of my bigger equipment additions to the brewery as birthday and Christmas gifts. She is not much of a beer drinker but always samples every batch I brew, and gives me her honest opinion. SHE is the reason i started brewing and fully supports my hobby. I just may be the luckiest man alive!
Welcome to the club! I hope your wife continues to encourage and support your brewing.
My advice, read everything about the brewing process that you can get your hands on. You have to decide what will work for you, not everyone's process will work for you. Ask questions here, this forum has a wealth of knowledge from fellow home brewers and,
TEMPERATURE CONTROL DURING FERMENTATION will be your most important aspect to making good beer.
But most importantly, have fun with your new hobby! Cheers!

Welcome from Chicago!

Two years ago my wife bought me How to Brew and a gift certificate for a brewing class for my birthday. I read the book cover to cover as I cobbled together my electric BIAB rig then immediately started brewing. Two years and three dozen batches later, I'm totally hooked and just getting into kegging, though I never did end up taking a class. We brew together frequently now, and on weekends when we aren't brewing we like to visit local breweries.

My wife also got me started brewing by buying a starter kit because of a friends recommendation. She does not drink much beer and I need to find more friends and neighbors that like to partake.

I started my home brewing when my WONDERFUL wife told me "you are not getting any younger and I know you really want to do this". She has supported my hobby and bought some of my bigger equipment additions to the brewery as birthday and Christmas gifts. She is not much of a beer drinker but always samples every batch I brew, and gives me her honest opinion. SHE is the reason i started brewing and fully supports my hobby. I just may be the luckiest man alive!
Welcome to the club! I hope your wife continues to encourage and support your brewing.
My advice, read everything about the brewing process that you can get your hands on. You have to decide what will work for you, not everyone's process will work for you. Ask questions here, this forum has a wealth of knowledge from fellow home brewers and,
TEMPERATURE CONTROL DURING FERMENTATION will be your most important aspect to making good beer.
But most importantly, have fun with your new hobby! Cheers!

Can't disagree, except to add that CLEANLINESS (next to Godliness in scripture) is pretty darn important as well. Along with water quality. And perhaps freshness of ingredients. Then there's limiting oxygen............. and DOWN the Rabbit Hole we go!!!!

May you receive at least half the satisfaction and enjoyment that those of here us have had over the years!

Brooo Brother

VTX1300 - Were you a "Flangehead" in the USN? Envious of your proximity to Troeg's Brewing.

Hi all,

Another rank amateur here. My wife bought me the gear to start home brewing for Christmas, so I guess there's no way out now. :>)

I've been studying up, and I'm almost ready to start with the Block Party Amber Ale she got me, but I'm here because I have questions. So I'm off to the rest of the forum to see if I can find the answers. If I don't, I'll be sure to post a question of my own.

Can't wait to try my first homemade homebrew!

Peter
Wow, like my wife would say "Try making that your complaint to your friends.." Anyways, welcome to the hobby, RDWHAHB, and I hope you get great advice from the forums, just don't listen to all of it.

As I say, regardless of anything else, it's a hobby, people leave you alone while you are boiling stuff(or ask them to clean), and you get beer at the end..(with the oxford comma..)

Last edited:
Can't disagree, except to add that CLEANLINESS (next to Godliness in scripture) is pretty darn important as well. Along with water quality. And perhaps freshness of ingredients. Then there's limiting oxygen............. and DOWN the Rabbit Hole we go!!!!

May you receive at least half the satisfaction and enjoyment that those of here us have had over the years!

Brooo Brother

VTX1300 - Were you a "Flangehead" in the USN? Envious of your proximity to Troeg's Brewing.
I agree completely with everything you added, just didn't want to too deep in the rabbit hole.
I drive past Troegs every day going home from work. Only a half mile away. And yes, I do stop after work with friends a couple of times a month for a growler fill and a drink.
Engineman on a Minesweper in my NAVY days.

have you ever run a 5 cylinder Kahlenberg? It's fun to light the blow torches for the glow plugs in January and have one shot to light the engine with the stored air. Then have to start the aux compressor.

I agree completely with everything you added, just didn't want to too deep in the rabbit hole.
I drive past Troegs every day going home from work. Only a half mile away. And yes, I do stop after work with friends a couple of times a month for a growler fill and a drink.
Engineman on a Minesweper in my NAVY days.

Did a tour of the brewery last September. Always been a fan of their beers, especially Perpetual and Nugget Nectar seasonal, also Hop Knife. It's a neat facility they have in Hershey. Also appreciate their dedication to remaining proudly INDEPENENT. Hope they don't fall by the wayside like Goose, Ballast Point, and now New Belgium.

My second C.O. was a minesweeper sailor, Captain Joe Marzloff, though I ended up with 20 years in Aviation. He had a Doctorate from Harvard and was an all-around good guy. Sad to hear he died a few years back.

Raise a glass the next time you're at Troeg's.

Brooo Brother

Did a tour of the brewery last September. Always been a fan of their beers, especially Perpetual and Nugget Nectar seasonal, also Hop Knife. It's a neat facility they have in Hershey. Also appreciate their dedication to remaining proudly INDEPENENT. Hope they don't fall by the wayside like Goose, Ballast Point, and now New Belgium.

My sec

Brooo Brother
Perpetual was my go-to beer before I started brewing. Still get a glass when out for diner

Latest posts

Back