My very own chiller/pump caddy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tssgery

Reaction score
I just bought a counterflow chiller and chugger pump, but didn't want to pay the high cost of buying a prefabricated caddy for them.

So, I built one out of 20 dollars of wood. It's about 20 inches tall and the top piece sticking out on either side forms a great set of handholds for moving it around.

The only think I am not 100% pleased about is the proximity of the pump "out" and the counterflow "in. While they're only about 8 inches apart, I think I'll need to use about 3 feet of tubing to avoid any kinking. I might also move the pump and mount it vertically on one of the uprights. It's just attached with zip-ties right now while I figure out the best placement.

chiller.jpg

I have been thinking about doing something just like this - its so awesome! Looks like I have my next project lined up! Good work!

How high is your kettle? With the pump up 18 inches or so it will need to quite a bit higher than that to get the pump primed. I'd be interested to hear your approach to that.

A way around the long hose to prevent kinking is to use a couple of elbows on your pump "out" and your CFC "in". You could rig it so its a straight show of 6 inches or so. Just a thought.

How high is your kettle? With the pump up 18 inches or so it will need to quite a bit higher than that to get the pump primed. I'd be interested to hear your approach to that.

It's only about 15 inches off the ground, which is why I might move the pump much lower :)

A way around the long hose to prevent kinking is to use a couple of elbows on your pump "out" and your CFC "in". You could rig it so its a straight show of 6 inches or so. Just a thought.

That's a good idea! Once I settle on the pump location, certainly would be worth checking out.

I was thinking of doing something similar with RIMS tube, plate chiller, pump and trub filter (Brewers Hardware), but with casters.

Latest posts

Back