My take on the keg/carboy/beer line/growler washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtticBrewing

Reaction score
I'm new to HBT, but I've been lurking for a few years now. My keg washer build was inspired by many HBT users so I naturally cannot take full credit for it. So thanks to this awesome community!

I figured I'd post a quick album to document my build in case anyone was interested... Forgive the ****ty washed out cell phone pics!

mY5Xqvkl.jpg

It all starts with this 1" PVC flow-through spa manifold with (4) x 3/8" hose barb outlets. I installed a 3/8" ball valve on one barb for recirculating/dissolving cleaning chemicals

mtyCVnrl.jpg

The heart of the system is the most powerful <$100 submersible oil-free mag drive pump I could find. It is a ~1600 GPH 245w (1/3hp!) unit that set me back $80, but this thing is a beast - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012V5VNW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

ItHVJ7Wl.jpg

First test fit in the 6.5gal bucket - you can also see the three holes for the panel-mount shutoff quick disconnects I will be using. I used a threaded ball valve on top so I can quickly install/uninstall various nozzles/attachments, as you will see below!

kDwkQkWl.jpg

This is the first shot of the (mostly) completed assembly - showing the pump, panel-mount QD's, and keg/carboy washing nozzle. I used Colder QD's purchased from http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-974-plc-series-acetal-couplings.aspx

I5uQiMpl.jpg

This is the first test run - I had no support for the better bottle so I had to hold it!

Tfmdmdnl.jpg

Washing my first keg - I, like everyone else, made some liquid/gas jumpers to clean the dip tubes

qhVdp9Nl.jpg

I spent forever trying to find a large, shallow funnel I could use to catch fluid from a fermentation bucket or kettle - I had no luck... Until I stumbled upon this - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z555P0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - it is actually the lid to a drum funnel. But 18.5" OD, shallow, and $12. Sold!

KOR89n3l.jpg

10 gallon, 15" OD Kettle - looking uncharacteristically shiny

Ylz3mWOl.jpg

The next challenge was connecting Ball Lock posts to the QD's. I unfortunately had to use a stack-up of 3 different adapters - Ball Lock Post --> Ball Lock x 1/4" FFL adapter --> 1/4" MFL x 1/4" FNPT --> 1/4" MNPT x QD. These ball lock posts cost some bucks, but cleaning three lines at a time makes it all worth it!

afSyEfgl.jpg

First run in beer line cleaning mode! Works like a charm!

PvrFnhMl.jpg

Since I had already gone through all this effort, I figured I might as well build a growler cleaning attachment. This snowballed into a dual growler cleaning attachment and here we have it. 3/8" PVC pipe is nearly impossible to find - I had to order a 5 ft. length from McMaster

bGGcie5l.jpg

Top view of growler cleaning setup. I use short 1.5" or 2.5" (depending on the growler) PVC collars to hold up the growlers and let them drain

aOJYM6Rl.jpg

The whole kit and caboodle laid out for your viewing pleasure

duyEvWnl.jpg

And everything fits in the bucket for storage (except for the big ass yellow drain pan)

And there you have it! I hope this post inspires some people to build their own contraptions or incorporate some of my ideas into their existing ones. :mug:

I'd also love to hear suggestions as to how this could be improved. I'm always tinkering.....

Last edited by a moderator:
so do you run pbw first then water then starsan?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Exactly. Hot PBW for 15-20, hot water for 15-20, then Saniclean/Starsan for 10-15. I could probably cut some of these times in half but meh.

The next challenge was connecting Ball Lock posts to the QD's. I unfortunately had to use a stack-up of 3 different adapters - Ball Lock Post --> Ball Lock x 1/4" FFL adapter --> 1/4" MFL x 1/4" FNPT --> 1/4" MNPT x QD. These ball lock posts cost some bucks, but cleaning three lines at a time makes it all worth it!

afSyEfgl.jpg

First run in beer line cleaning mode! Works like a charm!
Well done and a great idea to attach the fittings to the bucket .

My cleaning manifolds are permanently installed inside the freezer and fridge.

I'd also love to hear suggestions as to how this could be improved. I'm always tinkering.....
Automate the washing, rinsing and sanitizing:D

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Info y'all........I inquired about the max fluid temp of the pump in question, and here's the copy and paste reply from my e-mail:

Dear Chuck ,
Your question regarding product EcoPlus Submersible Water Pumps has been answered
Your question:

What is the max rated temp please, of the fluids that can be pumped by the "EcoPlus 728330" pump?
I see someone using it for cleaning purposes on a homebrewing forum, and it would involve 150-170 degree fluids.
I tied to "Google" the manufacturer for the info, but no luck.
Have you perhaps, the contact info for the manufacturer?
Thanks for your help!

The answer is:

Sunlight Supply is the manufacture and that seems legit, 150-170F sounds about right for max.

Sunlight Supply is the manufacture and that seems legit, 150-170F sounds about right for max.

I could have told you the manufacturer, but definitely not the max temp - so thanks for looking into that!

I figured I'm probably dooming this pump to a short life with PBW and Saniclean anyway so I was never too concerned about temperature.

The wash water unfortunately cools off rather quickly while the system is running. It needs a heating element lol

Are those 425SS taps?

Edited to add...Excellent work brother! I have Marks Keg Washer, but am looking for something more versatile.

Nope, those are the not-currently-very-popular 525SS. I've never had a problem with them. Just the few annoying dribbles after a pour.

I had been thinking about Mark's keg washer for a while before I stumbled upon a video of someone using an aquarium pump with a ball lock post for kegerator line cleaning. "Aha" moment and this ridiculous thing was born.

I'm too embarrassed to add it up, but it probably cost twice the Mark's. Those ball lock adapter setups were like $25 each

What is the black lid you have there? At first I thought it was just a bucket lid but in another picture it seems to have a raised collar in the middle. Love this thing and I'm planning to build one soon!

This is a great build and well thought out. I love the fact you pretty much covered all your cleaning scenarios. I built a washing system but I put the pump in a separate box with a heating element. I found out quickly that the water flow volume I wanted to really blast off debris was moving the water past the heating element too quickly. I have to rework my setup but it takes some 20 minutes just to get to 120 degrees. Not optimal. In my setup I also found that it would be handy to have a drain in the bucket so you could do water changes without tearing everything off the sprinkler post to dump the water.

Very Nice...

Now if you could get it to dispose of used grains from my mash tun, I think I'd have everything covered! Good work!

Very cool setup! Well thought out and built. I need one! Tired of using the bathtub and brushes. All in good time. I like your kegorator, as well!

What is the black lid you have there? At first I thought it was just a bucket lid but in another picture it seems to have a raised collar in the middle. Love this thing and I'm planning to build one soon!

There is a 4x3 (pipe size, so 4.5x3.5) rubber reducer in there to hold up the keg. I tried to find it on the Home Depot site to post a link but I had no luck. Got the idea from http://youtu.be/9q-DHkeM1Xk

This is a great build and well thought out. I love the fact you pretty much covered all your cleaning scenarios. I built a washing system but I put the pump in a separate box with a heating element. I found out quickly that the water flow volume I wanted to really blast off debris was moving the water past the heating element too quickly. I have to rework my setup but it takes some 20 minutes just to get to 120 degrees. Not optimal. In my setup I also found that it would be handy to have a drain in the bucket so you could do water changes without tearing everything off the sprinkler post to dump the water.

Very Nice...

Thanks. I would really like to install a small heating element in the bucket to maintain temp. I always start with hot tap water (about 110° F) but the spraying action drops the temp pretty quickly. It's not really a problem for a single keg, but sometimes I like to do a bunch of things back-to-back... That will be the next upgrade, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Need to buy a grain mill!

The drain valve is essential! You may have noticed that the earlier pics show a bottling spigot, which magically turns into a 1/2" drain valve in the later pics. The bottling spigot was just too slow - don't waste your time with those.

Back