My STC-1000 seems to have died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
Yesterday I was pouring some beer and set the glass down on the top of the mini fridge I use for my keg. The controller sits on top of the fridge too, and the beer foamed up and over. Figuring I didn't want to get the electrical box wet, I picked it up, but then dropped it a few inches. The numbers flashed on the front and then went black. I unplugged it, plugged the fridge directly into the wall, and then tried the controller elsewhere and it seemed to be working. I opened it up anyway and didn't see any wiring issues, nothing looked loose or anything. So I tried it again with my fridge at about 11pm and left it on.

This morning I hear a crash from the back room, and I had this suspicion of what this was. Sure enough, the ice buildup had defrosted and fallen from the top of the fridge, the temp was at 5c (set to 1c) and it probably never turned itself on.

I checked on Amazon and I see they cost about $12 so I just bought another one. I'll just swap it in place. They are too cheap to obsess over. In fact they are cheaper than the "smart bulbs" that I started buying for the house. "Alexa, turn on the lights and pour me a beer!" (Unlike my wife, Alexa never argues, but never pours me that beer. At least my wife will do that.)

put the new one together today, just swapped the wire and it seems to be working fine. Don't know what happened to the old one.

Back